Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just looking for a 14.90 the car is all stock right now and runs like shit so i figure since im going to have to put money into it i mine as well buy some after market parts all i want is a 14.90 like my jetta was that was fun enough for a daily driver with good gas mileage.. right now the car is in the high 18's all stock with gutted cat i dont want to run any nitrous or any type of power adder not super chargers or turbos.. im thinking ported stock head frpp 2 cams cai. tb. cam gears. header, cat back, maf, and some injectors from a mustang and i should be there what do you think? car is a 5 speed

·
Registered
420 Posts
No fi?

I know some focus's that even with FI...they're barely hitting 14s

a guy at GLD has a roush turbo on his focus...it runs barely a 14

g'luck

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
actually if you do all that and run a race header with a good tune and good driving completely gutted i dont see why you cant run a 14.9. i ran 16.5 stock. idk where you people learned to drive. get a good clutch and invest in drivetrain. short shifter, maybe a LSD or something. but P&P head with stage 2 cams, adjustable cam gears. full intake and exhaust with 65mm throttle body. UDP for sure. get a SCT and then go get a dyno tune and you should be able to run 14.9 with good tires. dont put 17's on your car. nothing bigger then a 16, big wheels kill performance. they look great. but they destroy gas mileage and performance.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
My buddy runs 17"s like me and still runs 14.7's whithout the pp head. Just learn to launch and shidt at the right ponits and set your two stage rev limiter at the right rpm and your fine.

·
teh tranny killer
3,130 Posts
^ i concure..its all in the launch man...i have hit a 14.99 before but not with my current setup..at the time i was running with traction bars, i dont have those anymore, and also i was running with only 31psi on my slipstreams and that tore up some tread..on regular psi with full interior i hit the 15.2 that you see posted in my sig, but basically here are my mods

421 fc header
magnaflow catback
fc 65mm tb
fc udp
volant intake
livewires n coil
mcnews chip
stg 2 fr cams
esslinger cam gears
dogbone mount
slipstreams w/ pirellis

.its not that hard..imo you HAVE to powershift to get everything outa the car you possibly can, its not good for the tranny but as long as you dont make it a habit you should be fine..i know that Bart has put out a 14.8 all motor with pretty much my same mods+suspension and 2000 intake manifold...just practice, i have gone all over the place with my setup, i have even hit 16s with the same setup, you have to launch perfectly..good luck [thumb]

·
Boost?
2,378 Posts
goat roaper hit 14.7 ish all motor with 18's on, its definately possible if you know how to drive.

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
im not saying its not possible with big wheels. but smaller lighter wheels make it easier. i would get the ported head though.

·
Registered
384 Posts
You could always just get a set of 14in or even 13in rims (if they fit) with sticky ass tires and use them for the track only. That will help alot.

·
teh tranny killer
3,130 Posts
they will help on geting off the line, but will hurt your trap..i have a better trap with my 16s than i do my 15s, i think this is why goat got 18inch lightweights..to help with trap

·
Boost?
2,378 Posts
i thought he posted somewhere that he switched over to 16's with slicks but i may be wrong.

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
it doesnt make any sense that bigger wheels would help your trap. they are a larger rotating mass even if they dont weigh any more the geometry and physics of it doesnt make sense. smaller wheels are better for racing. that has been proven for years and years.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
*Back on topic...*

Seriously, I'd just take whatever money you're going to spend on the Focus and use it to build up one/both of your Mustangs. The Focus' strong suit is cornering, not straight-line acceleration. Even with ~$15,000 of modifications and pushing 500 WHP, Tom Lesperance (of Focus-Power) was only able to break into the high 10's with his turbocharged, built-engine and built-automatic transmission ZX3. Impressive to be sure from a FWD car, but it points out that even with liberal application of funds the Focus simply is not cut out for 1/4 mile runs.

*Now back to your off-topic discussion [thumb]*

·
Registered
287 Posts
i ran 14.75

·
Registered
111 Posts
ha....my buddy had a ZX3 with JRSC and his best was 15.002 with street tires running 9lbs. I know that was sad and he was wondering the same questions cuz he had ORP, shorty headers, a tune from McNews, and a Viper intake. My suggestion---Buy an SVT and throw toms kit on it!

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
^
Only Tom isn't doing turbo work anymore...and even then, the SVT isn't geared for straight-line. The Getrag 6-speed's ratios are designed for autocross and road race, not drag.

·
Mtn. Dew
7,223 Posts
slowpileof-focus said:
just looking for a 14.90 the car is all stock right now and runs like shit so i figure since im going to have to put money into it i mine as well buy some after market parts all i want is a 14.90 like my jetta was that was fun enough for a daily driver with good gas mileage.. right now the car is in the high 18's all stock with gutted cat i dont want to run any nitrous or any type of power adder not super chargers or turbos.. im thinking ported stock head frpp 2 cams cai. tb. cam gears. header, cat back, maf, and some injectors from a mustang and i should be there what do you think? car is a 5 speed

How in the world are you running 18's in a ZX3 5 speed? The highest I have heard of is low 17's and most Zetecs(with a 5 speed) will run high to mid 16's bone stock.

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
yea i ran 16.2 bone stock

1 - 20 of 20 Posts