Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know a superhcarger is belt driven so it is hindered by the pully diameter. Well what about a turbo? I mean as I understand it a turbo sucks in air through a turbine that is spun by the pressure of the exhaust leaving the engine, so if more air comes in, then more exhaust goes out, and the more exhaust goes out, the more air goes in and the.....well it seems like an exponential perpetual gain. So what exactly determines how much boost you will recieve from any given turbocharger?

If you want me to clarify and reitterate my question plz ask me to unlike other morons on this board trying to respond with smart-ass comments.

·
FF Affiliate
30,980 Posts
The waste gate either by internal spring or by boost controler controles the boost

There is 2 types internal waste gate and external waste gate but they both do the same thing by letting off Exh. manifold Psi before it has a chance to spin the turbo faster ,,Faster spinning more boost

Tom

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so what's the limit? How many lbs of boost could you push the engine and turbo before something gave out?

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Also depends on the turbo. I mean, you could make any turbo push any PSI you want, but if you go outside its designed limits, you don't gain anything, and possibly rish damaging the turbine. You can look at compressor maps for individual turbos to know where the optimal operating range is for it. Going outside of it and you'll be just blowing hot air. ;) (cheap attempt at a pun)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just to echo what Egz said.
Theres alot of things that determine what boost you can run and what you should run. first is your turbo, the bigger the turbo, the bigger the blades, the more boost with the least amount of spinning the more boost the turbo can safely handle. BUT, the bigger the turbo, the more exhaust energy it needs to spin the blades to create boost, aka. boost lag. then theres the engine factor. a stock engine, I wouldnt go over much of 7 psi, just for the wear and tear factor that boosting an NA engine can cause. another factor is your exhaust, as you want as free flowing as you can get, cause you dont want backpressure pushing to turbo faster then what the wastegate is allowing. once you start getting into higher boost, youll need to start looing at your fuel system, computer, bottem and top end, piston heads, oil and coolent systems. Research, read books, they will let you know all you want, and theres quite a few on turbochargers out there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts