Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already got myself FRPP lowering springs, which are installed. I know plenty of you use the SVT Kit from Massive, but I'm wondering pro's/con's and if there is any other kits out there that are just as good or better..

This is the kit that I'm talking about.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as I'll be purchasing a kit very soon.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
its hard to argue with the price of that SVT shock kit. $180 shipped. I've bought one myself.

whats the drop on those springs. if its a .1.5" drop you should be ok with the SVT springs, but for longevity or for a more sporty ride, it might be better to get something designed for a 1.5" drop.

KYB AGX is a good economical option

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Snyper - with an '09 you'd want a set to fit, the struts made for cars up to '05 need the massive 'omni kit" adapters to fit '06-'11. Worthwhile when what you want isn't made for your year, one thing to keep in mind.

The set pictured also needs early model springs to fit it, another thing to keep in mind.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So that kit doesn't work as is with my springs?
What will work as is with my springs?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Massive sold out of the springs for your year fast, last mention i saw they still had the full strut/shock kit similar to the SVT one that fits your car & springs directly. No need for adapters or different top bushings.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,111 Posts
Yeah they sold out about a week before I pulled the trigger. I was so mad for missing out on a good kit.

KYB struts and M2 lowering springs.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Massive sold out of the springs for your year fast, last mention i saw they still had the full strut/shock kit similar to the SVT one that fits your car & springs directly. No need for adapters or different top bushings.

So the kit I pictured will fit my 09 with the FRPP springs without any additional parts.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I DON'T think they'll fit, JUST going by the picture.

"SVT" only fit cars up to '05.

Later fitments could be advertised as SVT like setups, but they are NOT the same. It gets confusing, as they'd be "Ford Racing" parts and the SVT division could have been involved in the racing program those aftermarket parts were developed for - I don't know the Ford history enough to be sure on that.

The parts pictured LOOK like the kit for earlier cars, with separate top hats & strut bearings. Your '09 has a one piece "bushing" for a top hat & bearing to hold the top of the spring - different size than used on earlier cars. Your springs wouldn't be the straight version used earlier, coil in to be narrower at the top.

Can't tell the strut diameter from pictures, it's a SMALL difference.

You've got to check part numbers & model year fitment to find out if what you're looking at will fit.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks man. It'd be nice if somebody with a 2nd gen would chime in and give me an answer.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I looked at the Massive site, they're using that picture for the M18000-ZX3B kit for '06-'11 with a note at the bottom of the picture that it's for representational purposes only.

In other words, they're selling the Ford Racing kit for yours & picturing the popular SVT kit from former years to advertise it.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Same part #, different source. (same picture)

From what I read earlier, you already have the springs sold to fit this kit. Pick a source to buy it from & you'd be set.

Springs were '00-'04, '05-'07, '08-'11 IIRC from other info. on the different bushings/top hats to fit. (Top of spring curls to a smaller size on later springs)

Struts changed in '06 to a larger diameter, the biggest difference making earlier ones not fit without an adapter.

Performance parts from the MkI fits all with an adapter kit, as long as you use the hdwe/springs to match. MkI.5 '06-'07 is used for the later models to get the right strut size, needs later model springs to fit.

As you can tell from fitting the springs already, any change to the tops from '06-'07 to '08-'11 is minimal if any at all - parts book shows different top bushings so they at least have some difference.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
All struts for 06-11 are identical. The difference is in the strut mounting/assembly hardware.

If you bought springs for 08-11 cars, you will need mounting hardware for 08-11 models to use the 06-11 struts.

If you bought springs for 06-07 models, you will need mounting hardware for 06-07 models to use the 06-11 struts.

The struts for 00-05 are smaller in diameter and require the omni-kit to be installed on an 06-11 model. If you choose to buy the 00-05 struts, YOU WILL NEED to buy the 00-05 springs and hardware.

Rear shocks and springs should be direct fit across all models but it is recommended that they match the front for optimum performance. (I.E., If you buy 00-05 front suspension to use on your 06-11, your rear suspension should also be made for 00-05)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts