Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i put i bigger filter on my SVTF fits nice looks good. I am wondering what i could use to kinda block the space around it. because i am planing to cut a hole in the hood at back corner and kinda get some ram air going. i thought to make the seal good when i close the hood i could use weather stripping to make it seal down when i close hood.

let me know if any of this dont make sence.

thanks
seth

PS i just painted my stock SVT rims Flat black looks really nice i will try to get some pictures soon.

·
Registered
426 Posts
pick up a roll of aluminum sheeting and take the air shears to it

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
hmmmm, i dont quite understand what you are doing here. im guessing you have an aftermarket short ram intake. and you are wanting to cut a hole in the hood? tell yah what man, dont do it. in order for "ram air" to have any effect on a car, it has to be directly in front of the MAF, and there shouldnt be any bends between the MAF and the TB. this is how it is soo effecting of cars like the firebird, camaro, or anything with a scoop and a carb. im telling you now, ram air will not improve OUR performance one bit. simply cuz you cant make the air go in a straight line. the best intake mod for us is the cold air intake. and besides, you have to go like 60mph+ to get any kind of dense air charge out of "ram air"
if you are hell bent on doing this. i would have suggested using Lexan. you can pick up sheets big enough for your project possibly at Lowes.

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
try to get Just the Volant box, or an old Focus Central ram air hood box.

I can take picts if you need an Idea on how it's shaped......lemme know

·
Registered
11,161 Posts
Just go to Lowe's or Home Depot (Lowe's prefereably, lol) and see what they've got that you can afford. Some type of metal or fiberglass would work good.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
my bad for this being my opinion, but seems kinda...well, "ghetto rigged" yeah, it might look cool, and actually your idea is a good thought, and i learned while reading as well, Scrammer helped clear it up. I do see what you are trying to do, but it isnt practical, now maybe if you had a S/C or something it would have greater effect.

·
Registered
426 Posts
if its not incredibly functional, at least it will still dress up the engine compartment if it's decently made

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah sorry if that was not worded to well. thanks for all the help guys all i am trying to make a heat shield around air filter. make a cut in hood like the focus central hood. then when i close it have some weather stripping around top of heat shield to make it seal. hope that worded better then when i tryed to say it the first time.

let me know on your thoughts. and if anyone has pic's of underneath the focus central hood i would liek to see how it is. because i have only seen pic's on other peoples car's with the hood closed.

thanks
Seth

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
i like how this guys thinks. i would say use some sheet metal and some weather stripping.

post a picture of your setup I'd like to take a look.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Yes the acrylic would still be in danger of melting.

Someone said that, regardless of how well it functions, it might dress up the engine bay. 2 things.

1. form FOLLOWS function. Fundamental design rule.
2. In my opinion, this won't "dress up" the engine bay. It will "junk up" the engine bay. If this was 100% functional and even added 10hp, it might be worth doing, MAYBE. But even then, different materials and processes should be used to look professional. Since gains, if any, will be minimal to the tune of 1-2hp if that, I don't feel it's worth doing. Not to mention, even if it looks AMAZING, there's still a hole cut into the hood that doesn't. Cutting that hole, (SVTbedson: you didn't say how you were planning on covering it. additional bodywork, anything?) is not an easy job. Those hoods are stamped as they were meant to be. To do it as a DIY, requires someone with a lot of experience to look good.

These are just my opinions. Everyone has their on personal plans for their car. SVTbedson, if you feel like you've already addressed what i've said etc, then more power to you. If it's what you want, do it to it. I just think there were some details, that will turn into LARGER elements that hadn't been mentioned.

·
Registered
284 Posts
id get some fairly small dia. piping..( kinda like the shit that comes out of the back of your dryer at home) and route it down into the front bumper somehow, then up towards the fair filter. As for heatshield. get fairly thick aluminum sheets and shape it as well as you can, weather strip of some type on the top of the shield

·
Registered
284 Posts
oh yea..dont bother cutting a hole in the hood, unles you get it professionally done OR you get a CF hood custom designed with a ram air DIRECTLY above the air filter

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
02SVTsilverstreak said:
my bad for this being my opinion, but seems kinda...well, "ghetto rigged"
I agree... I think it will look a whole lot worse than any hp it could give... But hey, its your focus.. have at it, and good luck![V]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts