Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1.) I know some of you are familiar with my transmission issues.

2.) I am not sure if this is exactly where I should post this. I just knew that a bunch of people in here were familiar with my situation and it should only take a few quick responses to get a good answer.

So I get a call this morning from the dealer saying that my car is all ready to go. Then, he says "I forgot to tell you before, if you want to keep the old transmission there is a $1000 core charge."

1.) What!? Does anybody know if this is true!?

2.) Why is there a core charge? Shouldn't there only be a core charge if they take $1000 off my new transmission!?

3.) Why is there a core charge? I paid them full price for a NEW transmission and labor? This is my transmission...

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
If you paid them full price I'd argue that. Not surprised to hear there's a core but that sounds fishy to me.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know there are several people on here who can get actual prices on SVT Ford parts.

Can somebody give me the price of a Getrag transmission?

No employee discounts of anything, the real price.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
You might need to call the "Glass House" in Dearborn....This is something that they should of told you up front. I smell something fishy.
Dan

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1.) I took the car in last Tuesday.

2.) I got a quote on Wednesday and informed them I wanted the old transmission. They never said anything about a core charge, and just game me a quote.

3.) Got a call today with my final quote and a "if you want to keep the old transmission you need to add 1k to your bill" and "our original quote automatically took out the 1k"

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
If it came from Ford, theres a core charge on "all" trannys. They are rebuilding them, you technically dont get a "new" tranny. There is usually only new tranny's ava. at currect year production. Dont think that its a bad thing, it carries a full warranty just as the car did new, 3/36 warranty. Ford has core charges on alot of things that you wouldnt think they would, example:all aluminum wheels carry a $50 core charge. Please dont blow this out of perportion guys, this is totally normal. 99% of the time, they wont quote you the price "with" the core charge because almost no one wants their old tranny. if you give me the part number, ill run it and see what the cost was.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't have the part number yet. I haven't picked the car up.

It is a Getrag transmission though.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Why do you want the old trans anyways it must be junk if you bought a new one. If you want one to rebuild your self you can find a junk trans for about $100 or so around here or in a junk yard for you to rebuild.

If you insist on keeping old one think of it like this.....you're paying $1,000 for a junk transmission when you can buy the same junk transmission for $100 somewhere else...just my $0.02.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Getrags supposdly are NOT rebuildable.

there should be no core charge.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts

No they are, but Ford won't rebuild them because it's not a Ford part so they replace them.

FWIW, when mine went out, I seem to remember them quoting $4K for the tranny.

·
FF Affiliate
31,175 Posts

Sure they are , I rebuild them all the time , Like Mike said you got a REBUILT Trans not a new one that is why there is a core on them

I charge a core charge on engines and Trans , If I didnt you would be paying for the core because I would have to go buy another one to be able to rebuild it for you

Tom

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I was under the impression that the OP bought a brand new transmission (as per his post)

I paid them full price for a NEW transmission and labor
I must have been mis-informed.
I had 2 different dealerships locally tell me that Getrags were not rebuildable (or at least "not servicable")

oh well.....my bad, yo

New parts shouldnt have core charges.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
I was under the impression that the OP bought a brand new transmission (as per his post)

I must have been mis-informed.
I had 2 different dealerships locally tell me that Getrags were not rebuildable (or at least "not servicable")

oh well.....my bad, yo.
And you are still correct. Ford Dealerships will not service them, it's a not a Ford unit so they simply replace it if there's any issue.

To the OP, I would have searched around first, I found a wrecked EAP SVT with 9K miles and snagged the tranny for $1100 after a dealership quoted me $5700 to do the job. I ended up spending under $2K for the tranny, new Spec clutch and install (discounted through a friend).

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
if the core charge isnt on your work order that you signed when you took your car in and the didnt tell you about the charge BEFORE they R&Red the trany thats their problem.

the work order is a legal document and what you signed for is what they agreed to charge for and what you agreed to pay. nothing more, nothing less.

edit; the core charge should be on the work order even if you told them you didnt want to keep old parts

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
The Getrag "isnt" rebuildable through Ford. That means that there are no servicable parts ava through the dealership. That doesnt mean that they arent rebuildable. There will always be a core especially on a getrag as expensive as they are. There is one other thing to consider, if they didnt have cores, you wouldnt have a transmission. They dont keep making these things guys, that would be insane since theyre so few of them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts