Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my foglight bulbs broke and i need to get new ones... what color should i get? and suggestion on brand/bulb i should get? i want brighter foglights that will fit into stock housing without modding or damaging my housing/wiring.

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
Silverstars from autozone bright white but safe for stock vehicles

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
If you want a light that is great for fog, then a yellow light is the best.
Blue light reflects back off the fog a lot more than a yellow light.
Of course a yellow light is not 'cool' and a very blue light 'is' cool.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Yellow is cool!

I got Nokya bulbs for cheap. Nice and bright, still going strong after a year and I use them as DRL.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Get any color you like (that you can get away with anyway). Color has nothing to do with a lamp being rated as a 'fog light'. A fog light is primarily, distance above surface and aiming. Fog lights are generally white for improved light output from low watt bulbs. Yellow,Blue, Green (what have you) offer no advantage.

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,214 Posts
I generally think of yellow as a "fog light" and plain white is a "driving light". White and yellow are both legal for "fog lights".

I got caught in one of the hardest storms I ever seen in June around midnight and I just put Nokya yellow bulbs in my fogs a few weeks earlier. I was impressed with how I could see considering the poor visibility. I cycled through every light mode to experiment... highbeams made things 10x worse, lows were too dim, but the fogs cut through the rain and I could see the lines in the road. I was doing 35mph on the highway and I was passing the few cars on the road. Every car that I will own in the future is getting yellow bulbs in the fogs.

...And yellow fogs look cool with HIDs.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i think im going to get yellow fogs. should i get hids or halogens, and what brands/ones should i get?

·
Registered
483 Posts
i think im going to get yellow fogs. should i get hids or halogens, and what brands/ones should i get?
You could always go with a white halogen light and get some yellow Lamin-X for the light. That way if you get tired of the yellow you take off the Lamin-X and go with the white light.

Halogen or HID...thats your choice.

·
Registered
621 Posts
go with a yellow bulb it will have better output than the lamin-x also I have friends that say the headlight gets hotter cause the lamin-x traps heat.

·
ninja lurker status
23,137 Posts
Fog lights are generally white for improved light output from low watt bulbs. Yellow,Blue, Green (what have you) offer no advantage.
green and yellow are far better than white for "fog light" purposes. i personally have green for my lows and love them.
green and yellow light cut through the fog better and give better clarity.
white is generally what comes stock in fog light housings.
i have had just about every color fog light they make, and yellow and green are definitely my favorite.

·
Registered
724 Posts
i will never make that mistake again the worst bulbs in the world
I have been using Silver Stars since they first came out. A definite improvement over standard halogens. I have also used GE Nighthawks and they are good too but not as easy to find.

Until i joined this site i had never heard of complaints regarding longevity. I have never had an issue with them, the same set have been in my Dakota since 02 and about 150,000 miles. Other vehicles that i installed them in lasted until i got rid of the car.

There may be better but for something that is available at virtually every parts store they are a great choice.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
green and yellow are far better than white for "fog light" purposes. i personally have green for my lows and love them.
green and yellow light cut through the fog better and give better clarity.
white is generally what comes stock in fog light housings.
i have had just about every color fog light they make, and yellow and green are definitely my favorite.
You may have a favorite color, but it is not relevant to how well they work, and frankly, I find the perpetuation of the myth that a color (lets use yellow) is tiresome. The ability to shine light through suspended water vapor (fog) is dependent on the brightness of the light, the aiming of the light, distance above the pavement (where ground heating tends to lesson the amount of vapor), and of course, the fog itself (water droplets per cubic meter or foot). So you may have had an experience where your yellow fogs seemed to work well, but white would have worked just as well all things being equal. I have been in fog where my yellow fog lights made vision worse (not because they were yellow). This is not a debate, do a bit of research. Now I am NOT dissing yellow fogs (or any other color for that matter) as these provide a nice, relatively cheap option to personalize your car.
[cheers]

·
ninja lurker status
23,137 Posts
I have done research, and white light reflects back in fog much more than yellow light. The height of the light fixture does play part, but everything I have read recommends yellow fog lights for bad weather driving.

To each, their own.
I was just relaying the information I have gathered.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
AutoAnything.com said:
The old wives' tale that yellow fog lights give you greater visibility over white or blue ones is just not true. The premise of that superstition, that yellow light waves are long enough to pass through water particles without reflecting back into the driver's eyes, is based on a misinterpretation of Lord Rayleigh's principle of light scattering. As it turns out, the water particles in fog and mist are entirely too large to have an effect on any light waves from fog lights, be they yellow, white, blue or even green. In other words, any fog light that is properly mounted and aimed is effective, so don't worry about the color.
color doesnt matter at all for bad weather. Yellow, in my opinion, does look better. Ive got 3000k 35w HID in the fog lights and they are low to the ground and produce no glare. Put HID's in your headlights and its a different story. HID's in the fogs is fine, i like them better than the Nokya Hyper Yellows i had. Just get Laminx yellow covers on your fog lights also.

·
Registered
79 Posts
i have yellow bulbs in the fogs and HID yellow in headlights and they are amazing cops might not think so but every time i get pulled ovefr they cant give me anything bc its not in the system so untll they give me a pice of peper saying to change them they are staying in. but yellow is by far the best and i have done pretty much every color and they are best in all conditions

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
i have yellow bulbs in the fogs and HID yellow in headlights and they are amazing cops might not think so but every time i get pulled ovefr they cant give me anything bc its not in the system so untll they give me a pice of peper saying to change them they are staying in. but yellow is by far the best and i have done pretty much every color and they are best in all conditions
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ________
. . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~.,
. . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,
. . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
. . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
. . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
. . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
. . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
. . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
. . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
. . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
. .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--==``
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _\. . . . . ._,-%. . . ..`\

I bet i could find an RCW in your state that they could nail you with for having HID's in stock housings. In some states they can impound a car for that because it is dangerous to other drivers.

·
Registered
79 Posts
i have been hit by every kinda cop in maryland state county you name it i have bee stoped by and all let me go

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have been using Silver Stars since they first came out. A definite improvement over standard halogens. I have also used GE Nighthawks and they are good too but not as easy to find.

Until i joined this site i had never heard of complaints regarding longevity. I have never had an issue with them, the same set have been in my Dakota since 02 and about 150,000 miles. Other vehicles that i installed them in lasted until i got rid of the car.

There may be better but for something that is available at virtually every parts store they are a great choice.
i just dont like the bulbs it might have been that my lenses needed cleanin but i hate the bulb even after cleaning they suck

1 - 20 of 22 Posts