Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems everyone say, Spec spec spec spec... well sounds good.. ill get a spec.. but what stage should i get? stage 1, 2, 3? i have a 2003 ford focus zx3 dohc 2.0 -- Only thing on it is a intake.. new wires n all.. i dont wnana get a clutch thats gonna cause my tranny to take abuse... would stage 2 be takin it too muhc? i plan on getting other parts.. like exhaust and headers, cams n such... but not for a lil while....

What you guys think?

·
FF Affiliate
30,929 Posts
I think the SPEC "SUCKS" If you dont plan on making power and are looking for a cheap clutch then the spec will fill that bill , If your looking for a quality clutch that will hold some power then the Clutchmasters is the only way to go , like everything else people look at cost then quality

Do you want cheap or quality?

Tom

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want cheap.. cause im prssed for cash.. but i dont want 'stock' I want one tha tis aftermarket than can handle stock power + all new components.. i replaced plugs wires, fuel filter, air filter, and a buncha other 'tuneup' type shit.. so its runnin nice n clean...

so the spec can handle my car, and can take the abuse i can dish to it?

nothing bad.. but I dont putt around in my car.. I hammer down sometimes

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where can I pick up a Spec clutch besides at specclutch.com ... their order form is not secure.. and its not auto.. gotta wait for these fools to call me.. kinda bogus I think...

·
Registered
705 Posts
I think you should put the money for the clutch somewhere else. You are not going to make enough power from bolt ons to nesessitate the need for an aftermarket clutch, unless it's already slipping but I didnt read that anywhere. If you were going FI, yeah, then get a clutch, but it sounds like you doing only little things that the stock clutch will handle for quite a while. If you do decide to get one anyway, get a flywheel while the tranny is apart. The cost of labor is horrific so you could kill two birds with one stone.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Understood, first make power, then figure it out how to handle the horses!

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
1turbofocus said:
I think the SPEC "SUCKS" If you dont plan on making power and are looking for a cheap clutch then the spec will fill that bill , If your looking for a quality clutch that will hold some power then the Clutchmasters is the only way to go , like everything else people look at cost then quality

Do you want cheap or quality?

Tom
I totally respect you for what you do for the focus community and your opinion but it seems unless you totally agree with what someone says, you put everything else down. to say Spec sucks is just an opinion, maybe you have had a bad experience i dont know. I have had mine on for 20K miles and it still holds as good as it did when i bought it. Spec clutches may cost less but they are not cheap quality.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, the clutch is completely gone.. its like.. way gone.. still shifts fine.. but has almost no go when clutch is out.. so i need one.. I ordered a spec.. its comin... I really dont got th emoney for a flywheel though.. which kinda sucks.... meh...

Will the cluthc still do fine with the stock flywheel.. there wont be any complications? and what does the light weight wheel do for it? what kinda improvmenets...

Thanks guys~

·
Registered
420 Posts
Likewise

What are the advantages of a lightweight flywheel?

I was looking at getting an Exedy clutch. They come stock in an Evo, and they hold their own for quite a while. I'm on 83,000 miles with my stock clutch, and when I got my new tanny put in at 68,000 he said my pressure plate was really worn, but my clutch has yet to ever slip...

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
lighter flywheel means faster revs, however it will rattle and on a low powered car can even cause somthing like hesitation starting off

1 - 13 of 13 Posts