Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no idea what brands are out there, or good for that matter. Oh gurus of focus wisodom, please tell me what you think.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Any mods or plans for mods?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I probably will do a CIA and exhaust and reprogram the computer, or what ever its called, and that will be the most i will put into it.

I figure stage one at the most. lightweight flywheel would free up a little turning wieight and i like the feeling of a better clutch.

The only thing i'm worried about is that the last zx3 i owned, i did an exedy stage one organic clutch kit and when i had it in nuetral and my foot off the clutch it made a knocking noise from the transmission. Does anyone know if this is normal and/or why it did that. I' read somewhere that someone else had a similar issue. I'm trying to avoid repeating the same nosie

and one last thing, any good ideas what else i could or should replace while i'm in there?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
You will get that rattle with a light flywheel on the svt

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it wasn't the rattle,I did get that too,but I got a knocking noise when my foot was off the clutch pedal and it was in neutral. If i was in neutral and i pushed the clutch in, the knocking noise went away. I'
m just trying to understand it so i can aviod that again.

So is the luk kit a post tsb make?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I can't comment on the knock. But I did a post about the pre-tsp vs the tsp clutch a while ago it's a much better clutch than the one that came with the car

·
Registered
237 Posts
How much are you looking to spend? A post tsb clutch kit from luk with flywheel is below 500 dollars, a spec stage ll with a post tsb lightweight flywheel is between 800 and 900.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i'm still on the bridge regaurding if i want to go stage one or OEM. I want the lightweight flywheel and better strenght pressureplate but its more money and i'd don't want to run into any compications. The thing that makes it hard to decide is that I hear some people say a certain brand is good and from another person i hear its bad. It leaves me not knowing who to believe and what brands are better.

Need a clutch line up review for all brands lol

·
Registered
133 Posts
clutch

If thats all you're planning for hop ups, a stock clutch would be fine i would think. I did a full replacement (flywheel,disc, pressure plate,hydraulic throwout) on my 03'. Found the full kit on eeeebay for around 400. It is an LUK disc, which is the stock manufacturer anyway. I have the "light knock" you're talking about. It doesn't bother me as i was hearing it before i did the clutch. I also read someone on here saying, quote "the stock clutch is fine. I drop mine at 3,000 rpm all the time. I have no problems". So there is what i can tell you. Hope thats helps one way or another. Later.

·
Registered
221 Posts
So far happy with the LUK

Ebay here too the LUK kit made the mechanic happy, and it does have a larger swept area than the original.

Should be fine with basically stock setup.
No noise, great pedal feel, $398 was a steal, I feel. Call the dealer if you don't believe me. hahaha

-TooHi

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh i believe you, considering the price of performance kits and dealer prices I now that $400 is good for OEM quality

one more thing, the people that make these kits are retarded.... One kit comes with flywheel pressureplate disc slave and bearing. good everything ones needs I think... I'm no mechanic... then some kits don't come with bearing or slave cylinder. correct me if i'm wrong but isn't it normal to replace the bearing and slave cylinder while you're in there?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok i'm pissed and now i'm going to type...

Time for a review.

clutch masters stage one

http://www.clutchmasters.com/shop/?...ID=10&FromYear=2002&MakeModelID=91&AppID=1350

Not sure what to think, maybe its a good kit but no @#%$^! slave cylinder. I'd be cussing but i'm not sure if thats allowed on here. so this kit comes with the throwout bearing, but what good is that without a shiny new slave cylinder... RETARDS. Ok, so the solution is to but a slavecylinder that already comes with a throwout bearing for 200 dollars? FAIL!!! And why doesn't anyone list the weight of the flywheel and if its a single or dual mass, but i'm assuming since its aluminum its single mass, i hope.

http://focus.c-f-m.com/fordclutchslavecylinderwithreleasebearingfor02-04svtst170focus.aspx

thats the link for the slave cylinder ↑↑↑

So, probably a good kit aside from it being a grand and not having a slave cylinder.

[thumbd] for clutchmasters, but so closeOk who's next.

Ok, so I just ate my words... CFM has the same kit with a slave cylinder for 900 bucks. Some how they have the perfect kit on their website while clutchmasters doesn't... Once again, Bravo CFM... Anyone tried this kit???

http://focus.c-f-m.com/clutchmaster...ywheelcombofor02-04svtst170focus.aspx#reviews

Exedy failed for not making a stage one, and they brag about how big they are. HA!

next up Spec Stage 1 Clutch & Flywheel for '02-04 SVT/ST170 Focus

has everything... perfect, I don't know how good these generic looking flywheels are but i guess you just need a peice of metal that sits and spins, can't be to big of a deal.... and cfm lists the weight. finally a website i can tollerate. here's the link for that. anyone like or dislike?

http://focus.c-f-m.com/specstage1clutchandflywheelfor02-04svtst170focus.aspx

Of course the Luk replacement oem is highly reguarded on here so i do'nt think i can say anything bad about it. For the price and reputation seems good if you want oem... heard its cheaper on ebay.

http://focus.c-f-m.com/lukreplacementoemclutchkitanddualmassflywheelfor02-04fordfocussvt.aspx

Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch Kit with Aluminum Flywheel for 02-04 Focus SVT/ST170

can anyone tell me what a dual friction clutch is? is that like when you rub your $#^% with two hands instead of one? See what happens when companies don't give good descriptions with their products. Centerforces website doesn't explain it either. This kit looks good except that it has no slave cylinder or throwout bearing.... FAIL!!!! and its almost a grand.

http://focus.c-f-m.com/centerforced...ithaluminumflywheelfor02-04focussvtst170.aspx

Then theirs CFM's clutch kit. I don't know anything about this but I feel like if i said something bad I'd get struck by lightning. ok here goes. It has everything you need, I think the slave comes with the bearing, I hope. It also has the same generic looking flywheel that is in all these kits but I don't know they seem to all look the same.

http://focus.c-f-m.com/cfmstageiclutchandflywheelcombofor02-04svtst170focus.aspx

I still don't know what i want but I do know if I go OEM i'm going to go with LUK,What it all comes down to is if you want a stage one you have pay more for it, I just want one that doesn't knock. like my ZX# did I'm going to just roll some dice to decide eventually. but i'll wait for feedback first.

·
Registered
221 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
yup. ordered last week on Sunday, rcvd on Wed last week, mechanic installed on Monday. i normally order from rock auto, but couldn't pass up the price on parts geek.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
damn thats cheap

thx for the link I might go with that. its either 300 for stock or 900 for a little less turning weight of the after market.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LOL I was just doing research I was just going to call them and ask if it was that part number because they use a different one..

wanted to make sure it was post TSB

1 - 20 of 45 Posts