Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to changing brakes and am not sure what will give me performance, for a reasonable price. I know I want to replace the rotors with the standard ones later (no aftermarket or slotted type) but what pads will give me good stopping power, little brake dust & reliability/durability? also; where should I get them?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hawk. strait up. EBC gives you a ton of brake dust untill for somereason you upgrade to crossdrilled/slotted rotors...i barely have ANY brake dust now

·
Registered
93 Posts
but when you do upgrade your rotors, buy OEM from a dealer, or a nice set or slotted ones. you might find that a performace rotor is either cheaper or more bang for your buck than OEM. stay away from chain parts store stuff!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
thanks guys,

Any truth to what the meineke guy told me this afternoon: "the focus has a german engineered brake system & needs new rotors basically every time you replace pads. You're going to replace them often."

also; how much should i spend on brake pads, and rotors? and any suggestions for a good site or store to buy from would be good as well, thanks!

last question; anyone know of any tutorials on how to install pads and maybe rotors?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I just put Hawk pads on my car. I love them. I also reused my rotors. I have never done it before, but I just sanded them down. They are working fine. I am thinking new rotors would have been a waste of money.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that's good to hear, I didn't believe the meineke guy anyway. I dont know EVERYTHING aboutmy car, but that seems like a horrible problem I would've heard about by now! Plus you neveer know with some people, it's always good to check. I'm sure I'll be purchasing the Hawk brand brake pads, probably from buybrakes.com website. They have the fronts listed around $65 and the rear around $50 + free S&h over $100. I'll get a friend to help me out on the install, thakns again everyone!

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Just make sure you have access to the tool used to push/turn the rear piston back in.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah i was thining about waiting on the rears, I haven't ever had them replaced, and don' see a big need ... I know the fronts need done though ... I'll have them checked out somewhere, I know a guy at firestone ..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts