Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I'm thinking about autocrossing my new car and was wondering what kind of cars I would be compared with. Its all stock. Is its class determined by its power-to-weight ratio?

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stock (S)
These cars are fairly close to cars that are driven on the street, and are usually dual purpose automobiles. Permitted modifications include any DOT-approved tire, any shock that attaches to the stock mounting points, any exhaust from the catalytic converter back (subject potentially to local sound control), any brake pads, any front sway bar, any wheels of stock dimensions and offset, and addition of a race harness.
Cars prepared to Road Racing Showroom Stock rules are permitted to run in Stock, but are not permitted to "mix" rules between the two classes.

The stock class is split up into sub-classes organized by performance. They are lettered A thru H, in an approximate order of descending performance. There is also a class called Super Stock (SS). Examples of cars in A-Stock (AS) include: Porsche 911's, Turbo MR2's, etc. The most populated class appears to be C-Stock (CS), which includes Miatas and many BMW's. At other end of the spectrum, H-Stock (HS) includes cars with relatively low power-to-weight ratios like the Toyota Tercel and Honda Accord. F-stock is a class that is generally populated with the "pony cars" such as Camaros, Firebirds, and Mustangs.

Would the SVT be in the CS class?
What other cars would be in this class?

·
Registered
7 Posts
SCCA car classification

In SCCA SoloII autocross the car runs in (GS) or G 'stock'. That is if you haven't done any modifications. Depending on which mods have been done it would put you in a different class depending on which mods.

I actually race my 02 svt in SoloII and am leading the points in GS class. It is a lot of fun. I run against Audi A4's, Acura RS's, Mini-Cooper S's, v-6 mustangs, etc. My closes competition is another SVT.

·
Registered
7 Posts
SCCA car classification

In SCCA SoloII autocross the car runs in (GS) or G 'stock'. That is if you haven't done any modifications. Depending on which mods have been done it would put you in a different class depending on which mods.

I actually race my 02 svt in SoloII and am leading the points in GS class. It is a lot of fun. I run against Audi A4's, Acura RS's, Mini-Cooper S's, v-6 mustangs, etc. My closes competition is another SVT.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah, my closest competition are the mini-cooper S's, the other SVTF's, and the fastest car that I have ever seen in class is the new Celica GT. SCCA is supposed to be moving the Celica GT to another class for next season and actually if I had race tires I don't think any of the others would be much competition except the Celica GT.

The thing is in Stock class you can add any cat back system, change to any struts or shocks, and you can run any tire(as long as it is on the factory wheels). So, to be fair my car isn't as prepared as it could be. I am running Falken Azenis and everything else is bone stock.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
in the SoloII club i race for it's just class X along with anything thats not a Miata lol. I'm to lazy to drive more then 30mins to an Autox and the Windy City Miata Club has them at my highschool sometimes so it's all good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, if you want to see some actual numbers go to www.trscca.com and look at past race results. I am GS 277. I usually beat the stock miatas.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah, I guess I have seen about four or five of those things come to different events in the region. We run out by the New Nashville Superspeedway and once a year MCA (Mustang Clubs of America) puts on a road course from the big oval track. This year will be the fourth annual. I am pretty sure that a Seven that I saw there two years ago holds the road course record. It was one of those with all wheel drive (the twin motorcycle engines). That thing was fast and the guy who owned it was a real driver too. I have seen several guys have some spectacular spins in the rear wheel drive models. It appears that the all wheel drive model helps the handling quite a bit.

·
Registered
712 Posts
It all depends who you race with, were I race there in class c

·
Registered
7 Posts
I assume you are talking about the Celica GT's? Well, if you are I ran against one at a SEDiv Solo II and the guys name was something like G.H. Grant and I think he took the National title in GS class, at any rate this guy was like 5 seconds faster than the next car. I mean he totally blew us away. The car was fully prep'ed though. By that I mean in stock class you can still change the to any shocks and struts, any cat-back, and any tire. He had the best of everything, but he is a real driver from what I have heard. I have also been told that the Celica GT is a ringer. They say it will be booted out of GS next year.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts