Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving down the highway today at 70mph and I noticed the my EGT's were around 1400*... I thought that may be a little high but I wanted to see what the rest of you guys were getting.. just for a comparison.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
before my probe burnt out my peak that was locked in on my Spa gauge was almost 1600...[eek] . cruizin the hiway generally flucuated alot but 14/15

·
Registered
218 Posts
Neither surprises me one bit. I'm frankly surprised they're not higher if they're measured at the port. That's what retarded timing does to EGT, it makes it skyrocket.

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
1600 from what I know...anything above 1450 is getting risky. 1600 is the shut the car off zone.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Stupid Qestion, EGT?

·
Registered
633 Posts
where should u weld in the EGT bung? i will be adding on to my turbo setup once its all said and done.
sorry don't mean to hijack the thread.

·
Registered
218 Posts
It should be at the port...

1400 at the port isn't going to hurt anything, 1400 at the outlet of the turbo would mean it was much higher than that at the port...and that would definitely hurt things. The EGT drops 300-500 going through the turbine.

Eventually, if the EGT is high enough, it reverses the heat treating of the head and studs rip out, seats fall out. It gets soft, like it was before heat treating.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I take my reading around 1.5 inches from the head in the #3 runner, so it should be hotter there than after the turbo.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I wanted to go for an average so I put it in the "collector" where the 4 pipes join.

·
Registered
118 Posts
When I'm cruising on the Interstate the EGT will go to 1400 also. When I'm passing a truck or climbing a hill the turbo will start boosting eventhough it is a partial trottle. That is when the EGT would climb. It is just an effect of low timing like Joe said.

·
Registered
615 Posts
i think it said on my install it should be somewhere in 2"-6" range. but im right in the same. i hit my peak if im pushing my.

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
turbo joe said:
It should be at the port...

1400 at the port isn't going to hurt anything, 1400 at the outlet of the turbo would mean it was much higher than that at the port...and that would definitely hurt things. The EGT drops 300-500 going through the turbine.

Eventually, if the EGT is high enough, it reverses the heat treating of the head and studs rip out, seats fall out. It gets soft, like it was before heat treating.

I didn't know you were on FF. ^^^ Thats great. Love the car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts