Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Machinery Technician
7,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to post a thread about something that is in here already, but i can't find it.
So.. does anyone know the braking distances for:
SVT
ST
ZX3
Ford Racing Rally Brake Kit
SVT brake kit for regular focus (no ABS)
Focus RS
AdvanceTrac
...and any others you can come up with.
thanks

·
slow
1,734 Posts
I don't know if the data you get would be very meaningfull. Braking distance is impacted by a lot of very different factors.

-Brakes (size, type, condition)
-Supsension (spring rates, damping rates, condition)
-Car weight
-Wheels (size, wieght)
-Tires (Size, coumpound, tread pattern, air pressure)
-Environmental Conditions (temperature, road surface)

...and I'm sure there is more stuff. Back to back testing on the same car at the same location with lots of controls would give you the best data. Though I'm sure the OEM results could be found in the automagazines, or maybe data from ford.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I hate to post a thread about something that is in here already, but i can't find it.
So.. does anyone know the braking distances for:
SVT
ST
ZX3
Ford Racing Rally Brake Kit
SVT brake kit for regular focus (no ABS)
Focus RS
AdvanceTrac
...and any others you can come up with.
thanks
Here's a rough estimate for you (generally speaking of course):

SVT: Pretty damn good
ST: Pretty good
ZX3: Pretty shitty
Rally Kit: You should be more worried about the person behind you hitting you than anything in the front
SVT kit on ZX3: See SVT
RS: Assuming you're talking the 02 RS; the best of the stock bunch
Advance Trac: Pretty shitty
Brembo Big Brakes: See rally kit, just be more worried

I've got Powerslot rotors (which are Brembos) with Hawk HPS pads and it's above ZX3 and behind SVT.

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,787 Posts
^^Haha that's funny I like the categorization very detailed. Anyways you might be able to find something from like motortrend or something when they did video testing.

·
Machinery Technician
7,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haha.. nice OandAWOW..
i know the magazines measure braking distance. i thought someone here might have the numbers

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
Rally kit = ST brakes, 280mm all around. should be under SVT

·
Sooooooooooo EURO
14,708 Posts
as others have mentioned lots of things will factor into how quickly a car slows down I can say first hand from experiance that brakes wont do you jack squat without tires that can keep up.
example:
I'm driving down a country road doing the posted 55mph when a tractor suddenly makes a left hand turn in front of me without signaling or looking behind him I naturally stomp on the brakes and my focus with no abs and a rally brake kit instantly locks up the tires and i continue sliding towards the tractor nearly as fast as when i wasnt braking
had i had abs or better tires (wider and more performance oriented) i would have slowed considerably faster.
however given my crappy tires and lack of abs in that particular situation i probably woudl've stopped faster with stock brakes however if my new fofo was thrown into the same situation with its rally brakes and wider rims with summer tires i no doubt would stop much much much faster

·
Sooooooooooo EURO
14,708 Posts
o and rally brakes are
st front brakes and svt rear so its a bit of a hybrid setup

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
o and rally brakes are
st front brakes and svt rear so its a bit of a hybrid setup
hmm so stock ST brakes are smaller than the svts in the back? interesting

·
Sooooooooooo EURO
14,708 Posts
technically the rear brakes on the st and svt are identical
if you have an svt your front and rears are max sized ford focus parts
if you have an st your rears are max sized ford focus parts
the st fronts are svt knuckles with different calipers and rotors so to upgrade to svt spec all thats required is svt calipers pads and rotors
if you have anything else besides svt or st stuff your not stopping as fast as you could [:)]

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
technically the rear brakes on the st and svt are identical
if you have an svt your front and rears are max sized ford focus parts
if you have an st your rears are max sized ford focus parts
the st fronts are svt knuckles with different calipers and rotors so to upgrade to svt spec all thats required is svt calipers pads and rotors
if you have anything else besides svt or st stuff your not stopping as fast as you could [:)]
Also the Focus Rs rear brakes are the same as the SVT or ST170... so pretty much all the same except for the front brakes...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts