Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sealed or Ported? Dimensions? I’d prefer to run one 12” driver and stealth is CRITICAL! I'll be driving it with a Profile AP600 300W or equivalent budget amp. I’m willing to give up half to a third of the hatch cargo space (approx 14”W x 35”L x ?D) for the enclosure. But, I need to be able to disconnect the sub and remove it at will. I listen to Rock, Jazz, Blues and Classical (no Rap).

F.Y.I…In my home theater system I’m used to the volume of an SVS PC Ultra, if that helps any. In the past I’ve preferred a sealed enclosure for my auto, but this will be the first sub installed in this car.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Why not get a factory audiophile sub enclosure, cut it out to fit a 10" sub and mount it in the factory location to the left in the hatch area? It would be out of the way all the time so you wouldn't have to remove it to haul stuff and would sound great.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
The best aftermarket IMO is the JL Audio stealth enclosure. Or as jaykirs said, take a stock audiophile enclosure and put a 10" sub in it. Like mine below:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
jaykirs: Didn't think the OEM side sub option would give me enough cubic volume. I don't mind giving up the space as I rarley use the hatch area anyway. The backseat gets all the junk. [;)]

b16sir1991: I like the StealBox, but it's kinda' pricey. How does it sound? Better than a standard enclosure?

So I should go with a sealed 10", instead of a sealed 12"? Why, does a 12" get too boomy in the Focus hatch area?

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
the bigger the sub, usuialy, the more bass, and lower it is, smaller the sub, the higher the frequency of the bass, thus, bass not being as deep.... at least from what i understand... :)

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
quick01 said:
jaykirs: Didn't think the OEM side sub option would give me enough cubic volume.

I put a 10" sub in mine and it's powered by a 400 watt RMS amp and I only turn the bass up to about 1/2 way and that is enough to give me awesome bass I can easily feel!! The factory enclosure would be enough for you, just get a sub that will work well in a .5 CF sealed enclosure and your good to go.

BTW, b16sir1991 and I used medium density fiber booard the make the spacer and filler blocks. His looks much nicer than mine but it's covered and can't be seen anyway. I glued the filler blocks in then mounted the spacer and used silicone to seal up all the gaps.

Also, if the box is too shallow for your sub (which it most likely will be), you can use a heat gun to heat up the back and once it's soft you can push it out from the front and mold it to get the clearance you need. Thats what I did and it worked like a charm, I didn't want to cut and fiberglass the thing. lol

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
No, I don't, but I know it's loud and hits rock solid!! I have an Audiobahn AW101T sub and a Audiobahn A4002T amp running it. BTW, I found that it sounds better when I left the factory batting in the enclosure. To me it does anyway. lol

BTW, it might be closer to .6 or .7 CF by the time you mold the back and cut the opening out and install the spacer. I listen to mainly rock and heavy metal and it really sounds bad ass, to me anyway.

·
Registered
18 Posts
BIG @$$ SEALED BOX WITH 10's

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmm...so far everyone is saying 10's!

I'm a car audio noob, someone clue me in or throw me a link as to why? Why a 10 or 10's over a 12?

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
In your Focus, a 12 might be too much unless you are REALLY into bass. That is just my opinion judging by how loud and hard my 10 gets in my car. I usually have to turn the bass down because it becomes overpowering to me, drowning out the mids and highs from the cabin speakers. That will change when I amp the cabin speakers, just ordered me an amp today, 100 watt RMS X4.

BTW, I am using the factory audiophile 9006 headunit in case anyone was wondering. I like having a 6 disc indash!

·
Registered
18 Posts
10's produce a more accurate tighter sound. Take a look at the Alpine Type-R or Type-X or the any of the JL's. In my opinion, after talking to several friends in instal shops, the OEM sub box just isn't going to give you the volume you want. Plus by the time you get the box modified, you probably could have just built one.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
anthony_sleck: That's what I'm concerned about since I'm used to the SVS db levels and reach down low.

Musical and tight with a reach down to 30Hz would be ideal!

·
Registered
18 Posts
stay with the 10's then.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
I don't have a way to measure how low my bass gets but I can tell you it hits low frequencies very well and it does get down pretty low. Just my observation.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
The JL Audio 10W1 is almost a perfect match to our factory enclosure's size. Takes very little work to install it and sounds great. I was using the factory amp and still worked really well, but recently installed a 300 watt Pioneer amp and couldnt be happier with it. This is it today:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts