Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to know what some of the signs of both are so i can try and figure this out!!

I read somewhere on here that if your RPM guage goes but not your spedo then your clutch is going!!

this is my problem, my car is not hard to get into gear or hard to shift, but when it is in neutral and the clutch is not in, it makes a funny ticking noise, but then goes away once i puch in the clutch, also when i go to start up the RPM will get to like 3,000 and the car will be rolling before the spedo even moves??

any ideas??
thanks,
matt [thumb]

·
Registered
332 Posts
I would say hold your foot on the brake and let out on the clutch pedal and see if it starts grabbing and the engine dies. If it is bad when you let off the clutch you will hear something like scratching on a chalk board just not as loud.

·
Registered
582 Posts
thats the clutch tsb's symptoms. it'll get louder and louder over time. do a search on clutch tsb and you'll find oodles on it. free clutch for you, is basically what it boils down to... enjoy!

·
Registered
744 Posts
The test the "Car Guys" use is to plant your car against something unmovable (for this test, your parking brake should suffice) put it in SIXTH rev the engine and let the clutch out.

Your clutch should be strong enough to shut your engine down at any RPM. Thus if you can take your foot entirely off the clutch AND your engine is still running, your clutch is dumpster food.

·
Registered
511 Posts
my 2003SVT said:
when it is in neutral and the clutch is not in, it makes a funny ticking noise, but then goes away once i puch in the clutch
Sounds like clutch TSB to me

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
svtfiend said:
free clutch for you, is basically what it boils down to... enjoy!
Not exactly....depends on how many miles are on the car and if he is still under warranty by date. But MAINLY depends on the dealer he decides to take it to.

·
Registered
210 Posts
That sux, I got 20k miles on mine, and can't powershift, 2nd and 3rd slip op top. NOOOOOOO! Damn my need for Forced Induction on a stock clutch!

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
i was about to change my ST for an SVT, but the 3 a saw had a bad clutch and the dealer did not want to fix it. all car i saw had over 40k miles. the dealers over here are not very mod friendly i guess. oh they had that same helicopter noice. which sucks cause i wanted an SVT, pls dont ask why

·
Registered
451 Posts
Svtzx555 said:
Not exactly....depends on how many miles are on the car and if he is still under warranty by date. But MAINLY depends on the dealer he decides to take it to.
This is exactly right. The TSB is just that, a serivce bullitten, NOT A RECALL! The TSB does not automatically guarantee a free clutch replacement. It all depends on the dealer (which sucks IMO)[:(!]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts