Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about painting my headlights red instead of the typical black to match my infra-red color on my 05 ST. Before I do this though, I was hoping to get some insight and some opinions on the matter! What do all of you think about this? Meaning how do you think it woud look? Thanks for your input!

I have to do something to make my ST standout from all the other foci out there! And since I can't find any after market products for an 05 yet, I'll have to work with the stuff i already have.

Tommy

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
[welcome]
welcome to FF.com!!!!
have you have seen the new vettes with the color-coded headlights? i think i just answered your question. of course it will look hawt. but i do recomend buying the actual infra-red paint, instead of trying to colormatch with a can.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I think itll look good either way. I saw a guy matched his in liquid grey and it looked bad ass. I think black would look good if you had all the black pieces like handles and mirrors and stuff, but being that you have an ST, its all color matched so it should look sweet in red.

And like scrammer said, Id definately look for the infra-red paint. Good luck and welcome!

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
Yeah, it would look good if the color was an exact match. It would definately be original. Go for it.[thumb]

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
scrammer said:
[welcome]
have you have seen the new vettes with the color-coded headlights?
I think you just did answer my question! Now the question is, dare i try it and risk screwing it up! It seemed like so many have tried it and came out nice, but there is always that one guy, and I don't want him to be me. I think I'll take the risk though, I have too right? I'm getting excited already!

If anybody has any other great ideas, I'd be happy to hear them. Just anything to make it stand out from the rest! Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
563 Posts
I did it to my car:

It is a perfect match, the glare off of the headlight makes it look a different color in the picture. My car is Infra-Red, but it always looks orange in pictures.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So Detroit, did you do it the same way as in the how-to articles listed in FocusFanatics.com? You know throwing it in the oven and what not. I just heard from another user on this website that over time that can cause discolorization on the lens. Also, how easy would you say it was, and how did you get the same color paint? I'm assuming you went to the dealership and get a can of spray paint in the same color?

Your car is off the hook though! I love it! Actually you have a couple of good ideas I'd like to put into my car!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Because I heard of the possible discoloration, I didn't use the oven. Instead I used a heat gun and a few prying tools. Took a little longer, but no big deal.

I was pleasently surprised to find the rattle can paint from AutoZone ended being an almost perfect match once the clear coat was on, so I just used that.

Besides using a heat gun, I did it the same way as the how-to on this site, yes. It was easy, hardest part being getting the lens off (not hard, just time consuming). Don't do this until you have at least two days you won't be driving the car. After resealing the headlight and taping it together, you will want to let the sealant dry for at least 24 hours.

Thanks for the compliments :)

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
DetroitBass said:
I was pleasently surprised to find the rattle can paint from AutoZone ended being an almost perfect match once the clear coat was on, so I just used that.
Strangley enough, Auto Zone, Advance Auto Parts, and O'Reilly Auto Parts all carry paint that is equal to the factory paint for touch ups and stuff. It comes in handy.

·
Registered
298 Posts
That would be me wiht the liquid grey. Check out my gallery to take a peek.
Also I recently did another headlight mod to my ST but im still finishing it up, I never have time anymore :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts