Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past 3 weeks, I have had some serious trouble with my 2003 ZX3 Zetec. Just replaced the Alternator, then the IAC went out on it.

After I tried doing it they Haynes way and removed the TB, I decided that there had to be a better way, and used the search button, which led me to jacking the car up and grabbing it from underneath.

I went to go start working on the car yesterday, and popped my hood, when to my dismay I looked in the intake manifold and found a puddle of water[ohcrap]. Despite the rain we have had recently, I'm truly baffled how it got there when I kept the intake covered. Nonetheless, I got the shop vac, sucked out all the water, and put a little seafoam in the intake.

After I did all of that, I got under the car, and removed the 3 bolts to the starter (without disconnecting the wires), to gain clearance for my ratchet. Pulled and replaced the IAC, bolted the starter back on, put everything back together, and go to fire 'er up. Gets some serious juice, but won't turn over ( if anything, I might get 1 click out of it if I'm lucky).

So this is the predicament. I don't think the car by any means is hyrdolocked, because there was only about a half inch of water in the intake manifold. I don't think there could be any way it got in the fuel rails/ engine. The new starter was installed about 3 years ago, and I see no reason why all of the sudden this would be the problem. I've tapped the starter with a hammer, but no luck.

I realized I couldn't be a forum ninja anymore,(hence my first post) and I just needed some other opinions. I don't see how I would have installed the starter wrong because I never unhooked the wiring, just the bolts. I feel like all things are leading me here ( based off my knowledge). Maybe I am answering my own question[facepalm], but I just hope there isn't something that slipped in the cracks that is causing this.

Thanks, y'all[thumb]

·
Registered
228 Posts
did you try turning the engine by hand at the crank?.....you said you have serious juice, what does that mean? did you test for power with a MM at the starter? I assume your headlights work? do you have a auto or manual?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I haven't tried to hand crank it yet. To be honest, that is something I have never done, nor have I learned the correct way to do so[facepalm].

The juice, is simply me referring to the fact that I am getting great power to everything in the vehicle. I just put a new battery in because the old alternator wore the other wal mart one out. With the vehicle on, the wiper blades, ac/heat, radio, turn signals, headlights, interior lamps, etc... show no signs of diminishing power.

This car is a Zetec DOHC that is auto.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
how full was the manifold of water? not sure how much a little puddle is.

pull the plugs and see if it will try to crank over then. Taking compression out of the equation helps the engine rotate easier so hopefully it's not seized.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd say the intake was filled with about, ehh, 1/2 inch of water max. Really, when you think about a intake manifold upright, from a side view, it's not very deep (even though any amount of water in a intake is bad, lol).

When you refer to pulling the plugs, are you telling me I should pull just the boot, or physically remove both plug and boot? Like I said, that is something I've actually never done, so any details would be appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
When you refer to pulling the plugs, are you telling me I should pull just the boot, or physically remove both plug and boot? Like I said, that is something I've actually never done, so any details would be appreciated.
Remove the spark plugs all the way, that way there is no compression on the engine and turning over by hand is very easy.

Then, you put a socket on the crank pulley (18mm, I think) with a long handle ratchet, or breaker bar, and turn.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Since you just unbolted the starter and moved it I would check the solenoid wiring to be sure it didn't get broken or crimped. If it isn't conducting enough you won't engage the starter and turn the engine over. After you check how well it turns over with a wratchet/ breaker bar I would check there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts