Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have any experience wet sanding a new paint job, advice is needed =P

I recently started painting an old ford taurus that we are trading into the dealership (my sister is apparently in love w/ a focus ST, so she had to get one. However, the paint looks like HELL on the taurus, even though it is mechanically fine. I decided on my off days of work I would try and repaint it using that guide to repaint for $50.. Its been working well, however I have a small problem. Im using that 3m wetsanding paper to do the sanding. I keep it thouroughly soaked in water the entire time I sand, yet black crap from the paper rubs off into the paint. A lot of it washes off, but a fair amount is engrained into the paint. Im on my last sanding job using the ultra fine paper as my last coat, and I dont want the blackness to rub off and make me repaint. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
don't rub so hard, keep it soaking at all times, and wet the paint as well, last resort... get some other sandpaper, though 3M is good stuff. Sand in a circular motion as well.

·
Broken cars s[:)][:)][:)] :(
18,832 Posts
I just watched my friend do this a few days ago. FIRST- SOAK the paper for around 2 or 3 minutes. Second-Make sure the surface of what your sanding is wet at all times. Third-wash off the excess.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
apply a little car shampoo as a lubricant as well. it's actually best to leave it soaking for at least 30 minutes too. if you plan on wetsanding in the morning. leave it to soak overnight.

·
Banned
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys, I got it though =P

I decided to try dish soap (as a suggestion from a guy at Home Depot, where I bought the paper). I put the sandpaper in it, and then got distracted w/ some paint dripping on the car and attended to that.

It took about 20 minutes before I remembered the paper and came back, and started sanding the other bumper (dry by this time).. Wow that baby sanded smooooooth. I am seriously still in awe how sandpaper and a foam roller can put on such a smooth layer of paint. Unbelievable. This car is going to look amazing when its all done.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Sand COMPLETELY to remove ALL (if any) 'orange peal' ripples, and the surface will look like a mirror. That is what is missing from stock paint jobs - orange peal removal (wet sanding).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts