Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Dude, that's hardcore lol. I guess I would have to see a body comparison after 100,000-200,000 miles with the module to see if it was worth the cost. I've seen articles I. The last with positively charged ion particles and rust, or something like that.

Makes me sooooo glad I no longer see snow.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I think naval shops have a similar electrical anti-rust system, but my recollection is that the physics/chemistry is not the same - the car isn't sitting in saltwater. One or two places here (Syracuse - often is literally the snowiest (and saltiest) city in the USA over 100k population) sell those devices but I've never met anyone who has one to see for myself if it works.

Speaking of not fixing issues - even the 2014's with under 3k miles have the leaking valve cover issue. They leak right off the dealer's lot, so Ford likely knew back in 2011 or early 2012. My engine bay is already dirty (at 2800 miles), so I can't easy see the leak anymore. At 1000 miles I could clearly see oil seeping/leaking and my oil level was a tad off full (maybe it always was though).

Other issues are an annoying wind/whistle on right side, suspected damaged battery from sitting on the lot for 6+ months, rusting where rear end of "felt" engine undercover meets the metal (even though it wasn't driven in winter), radio won't turn on at times, AM reception is very poor (there is a TSB for that one), and various rattles (from engine vibrating at low RPMs and radio) that I doubt will be fixed.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I just picked up a 2014 sedan. I noticed there was standing water on the black rocker panel on the Pass. rear door. Hours after a rain and some driving the water is still there until I open the door. It runs out on to the ground. I am not sure if it is getting trapped in the door or collecting on the flat panel, it goes everywhere when I open the door.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I just picked up a 2014 sedan. I noticed there was standing water on the black rocker panel on the Pass. rear door. Hours after a rain and some driving the water is still there until I open the door. It runs out on to the ground. I am not sure if it is getting trapped in the door or collecting on the flat panel, it goes everywhere when I open the door.
Get the door seal replaced under warranty. My dealer took care of it in an hour.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Isn't it expected to have water on the black plastic? I thought it was only an issue if it's up further, on the painted metal. There isn't a door seal on the very bottom lip of the door, right?

·
Registered
235 Posts
For me it's not draining on the one door. It does not collect and hang around after driving on any other door. It's enough to get the ground wet when I open the door.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Isn't it expected to have water on the black plastic? I thought it was only an issue if it's up further, on the painted metal. There isn't a door seal on the very bottom lip of the door, right?
Yes, I'm pretty sure that's what we are experiencing... water coming off the painted area when we open the door after a rain or car wash, etc...

·
Registered
290 Posts
Water on painted area would be very bad. I noticed when I washed mine that at the very back end of the black plastic, the plastic does not go up high enough and water gets under the plastic. Water will sit in there for days (which means saltwater 4-5 months of the year). I'm leaning towards caulking (with clear silicone) the top edge of the plastic.

Has anyone removed the rocker covers and noticed if water get under it?

Many Ford models (Focus and Contour especially) around here have very rusty rockers (they 100% rust away actually) compared to other brands, so I'm glad they did a better job with the black rocker covers on our car, but it could have been better.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have been having the same issue with my rear doors holding water outside of the seal on the painted metal. Usually a day after rain i open it up and water splashes out on the ground.

I took it to the dealer once already, he said he hasn't seen that before. They spent maybe 30-45 minutes on it adjusting some stuff. Told me to bring it back if it happens again, so it's happening still and i'm dropping it off tonight. Hopefully this time it will work.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I'm starting to wonder what the deal is here, it seems like all 4 of mine are leaking now after already having one replaced... To top it all off, my SO and I test drove a brand new SE sedan and she and I agreed it had less wind noise as well.. I've heard that the sedans have better aerodynamics but now I'm thinking it's very, very common for these door seals to fail... I have an appointment tonight and getting it checked out.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
...I took it to the dealer once already, he said he hasn't seen that before. They spent maybe 30-45 minutes on it adjusting some stuff. Told me to bring it back if it happens again, so it's happening still and i'm dropping it off tonight. Hopefully this time it will work.
I want to look into this further. Please send me a private message with your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

...I have an appointment tonight and getting it checked out.
Let me know how it goes!

Meagan

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I still haven't done anything about this since I've not had to take the car to the dealer for anything else yet. Frankly, I'm much more concerned with the V shape of the bottom lip of the doors where the sheet metal is folded over. Those hold a large amount of water.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I agree - the bottom (outside edge) of the doors worry me as I live in a very salty area. I used my air compressor after washing it and a ton of water flew out of the "channel" that is created form not welding the door flange. I can only assume it was a cost saving measure as nothing else makes sense. I'm tempted to fill it with silicone caulking before winter, as well as the top of the plastic rocker covers to keep water and salt from sitting in there all winter.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Good ideas consistently poorly executed.
[twothumbs]

I have a little box under my hood for rustproofing. It sends a signal along the metal so it won't rust. Do you have the same in your focus? My back doors are full of water too!
My nephew has one of those on his Mazda Speed
Ironically the assembly its mounted to is covered in rust [histerical]
They have been around for years and dont seem to work
http://www.wheels.ca/feature/no-evidence-electronic-rustproofing-actually-works/

My 2014 HB is trapping huge amounts of water on the right rear door
Enough that you hear it splash down on the pavement when you open the door

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
[twothumbs]
My 2014 HB is trapping huge amounts of water on the right rear door
Enough that you hear it splash down on the pavement when you open the door
Not acceptable at all, get it fixed under warranty, I've had to get a seal replaced already.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Took mine to the dealer. They did a water test on mine and another from the lot. Yup you guessed it. " that is normal sir".

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Took mine to the dealer. They did a water test on mine and another from the lot. Yup you guessed it. " that is normal sir".
So water rushing out after opening your door is normal? Ugh, that's just not true... You might have to get one of the reps on here involved... My dealer has a very high end manager so I never have to wait for parts more than a day or so (tranny parts were in stock, door seal took a day), so I guess I'm lucky...

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
I've been driving my FoFo for over 3 years now. I live in the snow/rust belt. I have the same water holding as everybody else here, but being where I live, if I haven't seen a speck of rust yet in these areas, I'm pretty sure there's nothing to worry about. It seems like it was done by design (for whatever reason). The water is NOT getting to the inside of the car which is what I'd be more concerned with. I'm more concerned with the rust that is already happening under my hood. I think everybody's been getting worked up over this for nothing. Can a single person show visible proof that this is causing any damage or anything?

·
Registered
710 Posts
So water rushing out after opening your door is normal? Ugh, that's just not true... You might have to get one of the reps on here involved... My dealer has a very high end manager so I never have to wait for parts more than a day or so (tranny parts were in stock, door seal took a day), so I guess I'm lucky...
I've been driving my FoFo for over 3 years now. I live in the snow/rust belt. I have the same water holding as everybody else here, but being where I live, if I haven't seen a speck of rust yet in these areas, I'm pretty sure there's nothing to worry about. It seems like it was done by design (for whatever reason). The water is NOT getting to the inside of the car which is what I'd be more concerned with. I'm more concerned with the rust that is already happening under my hood. I think everybody's been getting worked up over this for nothing. Can a single person show visible proof that this is causing any damage or anything?
so if the door freezes shut because of the water standing in there , thats ok or normal

21 - 40 of 67 Posts