Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey forum, my co worker has a 2007 focus 2.0 duratec automatic, obx headers, custom cold air intake and custom exhaust no 2cd cat. and he said someone told him that since he doesn't have a timing belt, we have a timing chain correct me if I m wrong with those terms, ; that he has a tough engine there fore he can use a wet nitrous kit with shots of 25 or even 50 is this true?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Good question? ??

·
I <3 my SVT
1,761 Posts
I'd NEVER use any type of nitrous without a tune. and just because it has a timing chain as opposed to a belt in no way means that the engine is tougher... it means that the chain may last longer but that doesnt have anything to do with the bearings, valvesprings, rod and main bolts, etc. tune it first.

Matt

·
Registered
642 Posts
needs to be tuned.

HE has a timing chain instead of belt so thats stronger and internal oil pump but while it might be stronger it is not strong enough.

it needs to be tuned for sure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd NEVER use any type of nitrous without a tune. and just because it has a timing chain as opposed to a belt in no way means that the engine is tougher... it means that the chain may last longer but that doesnt have anything to do with the bearings, valvesprings, rod and main bolts, etc. tune it first.

Matt
Yes that was my main concern ; internals but he kept saying that its a tough engine. So I couldn't say much , cuz I love my focus so I kinda hoped it would be true. Haha

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Does anyone know if saleen put a tune on their motors to run the nitrious?

·
Registered
209 Posts
In my experience it is completely safe to run N2o on a completely stock motor with stock tune if used correctly. You have to know your limits, don't use a excessive jet size like a 75-100 shot and know how to read your spark plugs to adjust the fuel jet accordingly. Always use premium fuel 91+ octance. Never use in conjunction with another tune that isn't tuned for N2o cause the timing could be set way advanced. I have a T-Bird that i run a 75 shot on very often with no issues. As for the timing chain being stronger, that is a load of crap. There are plenty of zetecs running 3-400+hp with a timing belt, it's just a maintenance item. Also a wide band air fuel gauge is always a great idea to keep an eye on it. Now i'm not suggesting you run without a tune at all just that it can be done safely if set up properly.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
In my experience it is completely safe to run N2o on a completely stock motor with stock tune if used correctly. You have to know your limits, don't use a excessive jet size like a 75-100 shot and know how to read your spark plugs to adjust the fuel jet accordingly. Always use premium fuel 91+ octance. Never use in conjunction with another tune that isn't tuned for N2o cause the timing could be set way advanced. I have a T-Bird that i run a 75 shot on very often with no issues. As for the timing chain being stronger, that is a load of crap. There are plenty of zetecs running 3-400+hp with a timing belt, it's just a maintenance item. Also a wide band air fuel gauge is always a great idea to keep an eye on it. Now i'm not suggesting you run without a tune at all just that it can be done safely if set up properly.
Agreed.
Before deciding to go with Turbo Toms tune this Friday I talked to Randy awhile back.
He told Me for lower number shots like my Zex 50 shot a tune would not be needed.
Just have to have all the safety precautions in place.
But,asking a second opinion from Tom would be a great idea as well.

·
Premium Member
4,739 Posts
Just to stir things up. The fastest stock block duratec focus (12.6 at 104mph)sprays a 75shot on a stock tune with bolt ons. he now has a Tom tune but he didnt have tom do a nitrous tune. he has multiple passes and many fun nights. his car runs very well on the wideband and no knock.

just food for the thought.

·
I <3 my SVT
1,761 Posts
I mean obviously it can be done, but if you are just throwing performance parts at it without monitoring how the entire system is doing, you are setting yoursekf up for failure. So get a datalogger, wideband, and run a very small shot of nitrous at first and see how everything reacts. A tune is less expensive than a new motor.

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile

·
FF Affiliate
31,162 Posts
I would love to see a log of this car running 93 octane , 75 shot of nitrous and no knock , the stock Duratec is stock trim has knock from the factory

NO NO NO Nitrous is safe on ANY engine with out a tune and any tuner that sais nitrous is safe with no tune is an idiot or sure doesnt understand how nitrous works and people should stay away from them

Now saying that if you were to add higher octane fuel (half tank depending on Octane) this would help with the issues Nitrous brings up and with a wide band to make sure the air fuel is safe you could "get by" with no tuning but still wouldnt be ideal

Tom

·
Premium Member
4,739 Posts
I would love to see a log of this car running 93 octane , 75 shot of nitrous and no knock , the stock Duratec is stock trim has knock from the factory

NO NO NO Nitrous is safe on ANY engine with out a tune and any tuner that sais nitrous is safe with no tune is an idiot or sure doesnt understand how nitrous works and people should stay away from them

Now saying that if you were to add higher octane fuel (half tank depending on Octane) this would help with the issues Nitrous brings up and with a wide band to make sure the air fuel is safe you could "get by" with no tuning but still wouldnt be ideal

Tom
Your still tuning his car now, ask him for the logs. On the stock tune he would put in 110oct but these past tunes you did he has done it on 93oct.

Made 238whp on spray

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
I could walk a tight rope 500 ft in the air without a safety net. That doesn't mean I should.

With the mods, he ought to get a tune anyway to get the most out of them.

·
Premium Member
4,739 Posts
Your right i think he should get a tune also. BUT he hasnt and his car loves it. thats why in my first post i said just to stir the pot lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts