Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a local speed shop, where I know the owner to have my UDP installed.

He looks at my pulleys, which are Focus Central, and tells me within a year these will break.

He then goes on to tell me that this is a 2.5 hour job, and that if it is off just a click so will my timing, resulting in a busted head, which could end up costing me over $1000.

He tells me not to put this product on my car, saying it is not worth the minimal gains. He then says, that if I insist on putting it on, it will cost me $150 worth of labor.

Is this a load of bullshit?

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Yea. The Zetec is a non-interferance engine, so you could completely screw up the timing, and your head will be okay (granted the engine won't run).

A one pulley UDP is like a 30min job. A 2 piece kit should only be like an hour.

(maybe he read about the PZEV 2.3l, being an interferance engine, if the timing is off, could break the head.)

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
wow me and my dad installed 2 piece UDP in whew an hour. It's been 4 months and everything is fine i keep checking the water pump pulley but ya it's all good.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Don't know if this is any consilation but I had UDP put on my Mustang more than 2 years ago. Never have had a problem with the car and is one of the best performance upgrades I did on my mustang.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
hes full of crap... i had it put on at a shop and it took 45 minutes max... thats the fc pulley kit too. they are doing great so far.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
Didn't someone post this in a thread somewhere ..?
"Isn't the weight of the stock crank 3 pounds to keep the crank balanced?"

Other than that, check out this webpage with UDP information.
Shows and explains the benefit of having a smaller crank pully. [thumb]

·
Registered
456 Posts
A 2.5 hour job is a load of crap, I helped my friend install a UDP on his ranger and it only took us an hour and neither of us had done it before. The hardest thing was figuring out how the tensioner thing worked, lol... my dad had to show us that but now that we've done it, it would prolly take half the time or less.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
tom posted about the udp a while back, it doesnt throw off the harmonic balance of the engine. the guy ur talking about kinda took it out of proportion though. and i cant believe it took him 2.5 hours to put it on, hope he wasnt just rackin labor charges, in total on the pulleys there is 4 bolts that need to be removed and put back on, then u just hang the belt. the last fc udp i did took 35 minutes with jacking the car up, tire removal, splashgaurd.. etc.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, this guy was my friend, but if he's trying to **** me over on labor I'm going back to have a chat with him.

I just told my friend who's having his engine rebuilt at a European motors place (I don't know why, he has a 3000GT VR-4) to ask them if they could pop the pulleys on in a free moment.

Apparently the guy there is cool and actually makes house calls to look at cars, like he did with my friends.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's not that I can't do it Euro, I dont have access to any of the right tools, impact wrench and what not.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
actually, u can use your lug wrench from your wheels, same size, but it wont be torqued right thats the only downfall. water pump pulley i believe is 10, so are the ones on the splash gaurd, and the belt tensioner pulley is 12 if i can remember right

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So is the water pump pulley just prone to coming loose?

It's going to be a pain in the ass to check it all the time, especially if it involves taking off the wheel, splash guard, etc.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
the FC one does. mine did a couple days after the install, lost 2 bolts and almost the whole pulley! just get them on real tight, run the engine for a lil, then tighten them all down again you should be fine.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Well, look the stock piece does wieght three pounds and if it like most other car it is for dampening. It shouldnt make a big difference though, (sorry i have to make a honda reference) my friend has had a few people with problems of them on Hondas, but that has to do with the fact that the motor is reving a lot higher than ours do. Most of the other cars mentioned besides the focus wont or cant reach as high in the rev range as the hondas and the focus wont reach it till that unless you build it to rev that high like FC red race car. I never checked the water pump pulley on the focus some one else might be more of a help with that.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
mmm drive her around the block a couple times but keep the music down so u can listen for strange sounds, you will hear it if the bolts come loose, might not be a bad idea to pick up some extras from ford just in case. its like 1.20 for 4 of them. when mine fell off i had to have a friend drive me an hour to a dealership that had them....

be careful after you run it the pulleys get hot fast!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts