Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Destroyed takes it up a notch, bet it DID feel good.

Once in a while you might see a course (poorly set) where it's worth MURDERING a cone, and you hope not to drag it.....

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Destroyed takes it up a notch, bet it DID feel good.

Once in a while you might see a course (poorly set) where it's worth MURDERING a cone, and you hope not to drag it.....
i hope not, as each cone is 2 seconds added to your time.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Oh, I've seen it - as I said it takes a poorly set course to make the advantage worth the penalty.

Think of a box set up on a straight for a chicane, like the 'bus stop' at Watkins Glenn.

Then do it with only a single cone as the 'pin' in the tight center of the opening, so you need to turn in tight & tight back out again.

MURDER that sucker as you hit it with your side, just to stay 'in the course' officially. A wheel into the box makes it 'legal', as you weren't totally off course.

Set up right you won't get that opportunity, there will be extra cones to penalize you more for pulling that trick. But one 'oops' in setting it up and you've got most of a car width to play with, and holding speed through what SHOULD be a slow/tight section is a winner every time.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, I've seen it - as I said it takes a poorly set course to make the advantage worth the penalty.

Think of a box set up on a straight for a chicane, like the 'bus stop' at Watkins Glenn.

Then do it with only a single cone as the 'pin' in the tight center of the opening, so you need to turn in tight & tight back out again.

MURDER that sucker as you hit it with your side, just to stay 'in the course' officially. A wheel into the box makes it 'legal', as you weren't totally off course.

Set up right you won't get that opportunity, there will be extra cones to penalize you more for pulling that trick. But one 'oops' in setting it up and you've got most of a car width to play with, and holding speed through what SHOULD be a slow/tight section is a winner every time.
haha yes i know exactly what you mean. my dnf was because i missed a small chicane lmao....

·
Super Moderator
8,950 Posts
first event i ever destroyed cones ? and it felt gooooood
Wait until you hit the timing lights. That's always a nice touch.
Great way to kill time and beat the clock.

·
Super Moderator
8,950 Posts
Do it often/long enough and It'll probably happen to you too.
Iirc mine was a slolam followed by a Chicago box and a sharp left right after. I came in a little warm to the box and tried to swing the wheel to make the last corner and ended up looking like I was in FD.
If you're not semi consistently wrecking cones you could probably pick up a little pace.

First and foremost, have a ton of fun.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do it often/long enough and It'll probably happen to you too.
Iirc mine was a slolam followed by a Chicago box and a sharp left right after. I came in a little warm to the box and tried to swing the wheel to make the last corner and ended up looking like I was in FD.
If you're not semi consistently wrecking cones you could probably pick up a little pace.

First and foremost, have a ton of fun.
I still refuse to be that guy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts