Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know i told yall i was getting rid of her last time but i decided to give her one more chance and dumped off over 600 dollars on getting it fixed, well tonight just pinch my last freakin nerve, alternator #6 just went out, and i havent even had an audio system hooked up to this one so i know its not that, so im filling the lemon law on it and get it paid off and get this damn thing out of my hair, i just dont understand it guys, my 96 eclipse was more reliable than this damn thing

·
Registered
481 Posts
i know this wont persuade you but theres ALWAYS an underlying problem. just for giggles you should find out what it is. maybe it could help someone else.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
sorry to hear that, man, but don't give up on all foci just yet. if you get another one, i'm sure it will be much better than that one. i know my car's not exactly old yet, but i haven't had one problem with it.

·
Registered
738 Posts
if you've gone through 5 alternators, your problem isnt your alt, it's something else... have you tried checking your battery?

a batter that wont hold a charge can make your alt work harder and cause it to fry prematurely

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Or a bad battery connection. Like Crispy said, it puts extra strain on the alternator. The battery acts like a big shock absorber for electrical draws.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Seriously doubt that you can qualify under the lemon law. Thats hard to do. Out of all the years i have worked for Ford, i have never seen a Focus eat that many alternators. Theres something going on there that appearently, your Ford dealership is unable to find. Sounds like they need some better tech's. After the first 2, they should be looking for that problem. I dont know if you know how its supposed to work, but they can call Ford and have an engineer come down to check it out. It would get fixed then.

·
RespectMyAuthoritah!
7,103 Posts
7700mp pioneer blitz 1600watt amp 1.5 farad capacitor and 2 kicker solo baric 12's
Have you tried taking your system completely out? You could have a problem with your amp or capacitor or even a grounding isssue. With your other posts i've said the same thing and you never responded with taking that out or even temporarily disconnecting it. Honestly, with 6 'bad' alternators, i doubt you'll get lemon law. and you Paid $600 to replace an alternator? You're getting reamed big time. Just my .02

·
Registered
500 Posts
lildisco said:
Have you tried taking your system completely out? You could have a problem with your amp or capacitor or even a grounding isssue. With your other posts i've said the same thing and you never responded with taking that out or even temporarily disconnecting it. Honestly, with 6 'bad' alternators, i doubt you'll get lemon law. and you Paid $600 to replace an alternator? You're getting reamed big time. Just my .02
If you look at his first post he said "---and i havent even had an audio system hooked up to this one so i know its not that,---"

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
alternator number 6???? wow.....what it might be, i had this problem. My alternator went out and me and my buddy replaced it but then my bat light was still on...i ended up taking it to a shop and what it was, was there is an inline fuseable link hidden between the alternator and the battery and it had blown. So you may want to look into that before you dump a perfectly good car and also you may want to make sure you system was hooked up correctly. Even a lemon wouldnt go through 6 alternators, something else isnt right there.

·
RespectMyAuthoritah!
7,103 Posts
Well if he hasn't looked for something else after 5 alternators then there's some kind of other electrical issue. Were it lie i don't know. But i'd take it back to the dealer you got the alternator installed and have them go over the electrical system. I honestly doubt that you had the system unplugged the whole time but i could be wrong. How long did this one last? How many miles? Is the old alternator showing signs of melting? There's something else there that changing the alt cures it temporarily. Take it to another stealership or another mechanic and have them look at it. I honestly doubt you'll get lemon law with just stating that you've replace the alternator 6 times in the last year. The Alternator is failing because of some other problem. Might Be the audio system, might be some other electrical component. It might even be the alternators itself, but i doubt it, with 6 gone.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I just want to say YOU make me laugh... Maybe some of da techs need dem der edumacation again. I wouldn't of gone past #2 without checking everythin else out and I am not even qualified yet- LOL - Time to bust out the DMM and get to work :) Sorry to hear your so FREAKIN pissed off. Unless they are working for more than A year or 12,000 miles at a time I would uhhh stop paying (or take it to a ford dealership where they have warranty on that crap)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i had no audio on this one at all, even put the factory cd player back in, when i checked it last night the negative wires that goes to the alternator was broken where it connects to the alternator, so i got a battery cable from autozone and ran it straight from the alternator to the battery and it didnt do shit, as far as getting it lemon lawed, yes i can, ive already been talking to some lawyers about it, cuz im not going to pay 14k dollars for a car when the dealership sees it more than i do, and yes they have went over the electrical system and replaces a few wires and clips and every time they tell me "well that should fix it you shouldnt have this problem again" and yet here i am at number 6,

·
RespectMyAuthoritah!
7,103 Posts
Then take it back to them and tell them it's not fixed and not to give it back untill it is. If it breaks again after it's 'fixed' tell them you want to speak to the service manger. If that doesn't go well with them, speak to the Manager of the whole dealership. IF that doesn't work, then bring in Corporate. You should get the problem fixed then.

I've had my car in for 'warranty service' and had them say yup everything is fixed. Go there and it's not working. I live 30 miles away from the damn dealership and i raised hell. This case was the hood not wanting to latch. They replace the latch mechanism and i go to pick it up. Pop open the hood and shut it and it pops back up. After the 'technician' pounded on my hood like a he was taking care of a red headed step child, he said we're going to have to look at this again. Turns out it just needed some lube, that i supplied because i didn't want their gruby little hands all over my car AGAIN!

There's something else going on and it shoulda been takin care of sooner. Noway i would have let it gone past the 2nd one and they made YOU pay for it.

·
/fail
3,193 Posts
^^^^^thats what I told him.......

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well ford just called me and said the engine harness is burnt up, if you ask me i say they should pay for it, there the only ones who have had there hands on that wireing system.

how much would a engine harness and fuse block run for just curous, when i say fuse block i mean the big fuse box on the right side of the engine bay on the firewall. cuz they said that would need replaced

·
RespectMyAuthoritah!
7,103 Posts
going through ford i'd say a pretty penny....PM b16sir1991, he works at Ford and can get you the parts you need pretty cheap.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts