Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After almost trading in my Focus on a C-Max a months ago and canceling my deal at the last minute, I traded in my Focus last week.

I loved the Focus, probably more than any car I owned prior. I loved than handling, the LED interior lighting, the Sony stereo which was perfect for my listening style.

However, I has always been a little small and uncomfortable for me. The seats don't provide much in the way of lumbar support and I would always be achy after a long ride in the car.

My son is finally in his convertible car seat... I could not get it to fit in the car. If I put it in the middle, both seats had to be moved up to an uncomfortable point. If I put it on the passenger side my wife couldn't fit in front.

I ended up trading it in on a 2014 Honda Accord Sport with a 6-sp manual in Modern Steel Metallic. My payments went up about $14 a month but my insurance went down $10 a month. The Honda gets about the same mileage as the Focus did. The rear seat is huge and the drivers seat is VERY comfortable.

I'm going to really miss the Focus an will have to upgrade a few things on the Accord, mainly the speakers and the interior lighting. But this decision is the best for my family.

I have a couple things I need to sell from the Focus. I have a Pro-clip phone mount, a K&N 57S-4000 intake kit, and snow tires mounted on Taurus wheels. Keep and eye on the classified section if you want any of them or PM me for details.

Take care everyone.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Congrats on your new car. Sounds like it fits your needs a lot better. I think the Accord Sport is one of the best deals out there and looks great. I really considered one last year but the one thing I wanted was a moonroof which you can't get in the Sport trim. Anyways, great purchase. Throw up a picture if you have a second.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will post pictures when I get home. My work recently blocked Photobucket so I can't link to my photos.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is a picture of the car just before I took delivery

As for how the manual compare? No clue. My focus was a DCT. I can tell you that this is the best manual I have ever owned though.

If anyone is looking to jump into one, Its not hard to get a Sport MT for under $21,000. They sticker for 24,505 but most dears around here will do as low as $19,875 for any left over 2014s now that the 15s are hitting the lot. I'm surprised I got the deal I did though, the build date on this car was 8/2014. It was on the lot for 4 days before I bought it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Enjoy the Honda Sport. My mom has one and it's a pretty neat car. I like the Focus interior quality better, but the Honda is still very nice.

·
-----<M>-----
2,724 Posts
Congrats, nice car. I considered one at one point. But bottom line is it is a more expensive car than the Focus, similarly equipped. And I couldn't justify spending a couple thousand more for more space that I didn't really need on my commute.

I can fit my son's toddler car seat behind my seat in the Focus, on the few occaisions I have to cart my kids around in my car. He has no spare legroom but he can get in and out with no huge problem. Not sure why you couldn't make it work. We've even gone on a 2-hr drive with a toddler seat and booster seat in the back and heard no complaints from the kiddies.

And I don't believe you'll get identical fuel economy - the EPA rates it 2mpg lower than the Focus across the board. I've gotten the same fuel economy relative to the EPA combined rating on several cars I've used on this same commute. So I'd expect around 30mpg out of the Accord versus the 32mpg I'm getting in the Focus. Granted, a fair tradeoff given how much roomier the Accord is if one needs that extra space.

But again, a very nice car that I seriously consdered too. Definitely the best looking the Accord has ever been. And all the car mags say it's great-driving too.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Enjoy the Honda Sport. My mom has one and it's a pretty neat car. I like the Focus interior quality better, but the Honda is still very nice.
I have to agree. The Focus does have better interior materials and better fit The Accord looks more upscale though.

Congrats, nice car. I considered one at one point. But bottom line is it is a more expensive car than the Focus, similarly equipped. And I couldn't justify spending a couple thousand more for more space that I didn't really need on my commute.

I can fit my son's toddler car seat behind my seat in the Focus, on the few occaisions I have to cart my kids around in my car. He has no spare legroom but he can get in and out with no huge problem. Not sure why you couldn't make it work. We've even gone on a 2-hr drive with a toddler seat and booster seat in the back and heard no complaints from the kiddies.

And I don't believe you'll get identical fuel economy - the EPA rates it 2mpg lower than the Focus across the board. I've gotten the same fuel economy relative to the EPA combined rating on several cars I've used on this same commute. So I'd expect around 30mpg out of the Accord versus the 32mpg I'm getting in the Focus. Granted, a fair tradeoff given how much roomier the Accord is if one needs that extra space.

But again, a very nice car that I seriously consdered too. Definitely the best looking the Accord has ever been. And all the car mags say it's great-driving too.
My son is 6 months old and will be rear facing for a while. His convertible seat is huge and to get it in the car the passenger seat had to be all the way forward. I had his infant seat in the middle and it fit fine, but the convertible is significantly taller and wider so it wouldn't fit in the middle and still allow me to be comfortable.

We had been using my wife's 2013 Elentra for most of the family trips. We fit ok in that as long as I was driving... but I'm not sure if you ever drove one... they suck. The steering is numb, they handle like crap, have no power, and are just about the most boring car in the class. My wife likes the car though because its cute and the right color blue.

The Accord does drive really nice. Its smooth on the highway and handles well enough for a family car. The handling doesn't even come close to the Focus through turns.

I was also getting really uncomfortable in the Focus on trips any longer than 30 minutes. I would get out achy and my back would be killing me the next day. I don't get any of that in the Accord.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Be careful to watch lube oil consumption - a friend of mine has an Accord that's a few years older that uses oil but Honda says that it's normal consumption.
Of course the length of time between recommended oil changes and the ultra light oil used might have something to do with it.
My wife's Subaru Forester has a similar habit. My Focus does not.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Best of luck with the new Honda Jay, sounds like it fits your needs better than the Focus.

I happen to fit mine OK in the seat with the right adjustments, that isn't true for everyone. Finding the right fit for you is important, my late Wife was comfortable in vehicles I couldn't quite get happy in & vice versa.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Congrats on the Accord Sport. I was looking at getting one, but was turned off by the lack of choices. You can have it any way you want it - as long as it's gray or black, with a black interior. No sunroof, no nav, no leather. Really no options at all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts