Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I'm a first time poster. I have a Ford Focus rebuild (after accident) which may need an engine mount welded. Does anyone know if this is a time consuming or difficult job for a mechanic? Thanks in advance....

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
What exactly has to be welded?

I can't see it being the physical/removable motor or transmission mount/s. They are affordable and cost on average $40/each.
So then it could be the adapter for the lower transmission mount that attaches to the transmission. A severe impact can break that piece ... but it can also be sourced from Ford and replaced, I can't recall the cost though isn't much IIRC.
That means we're left with the physical attachment points on the car body itself. The drivers side transmission mount has been known to be weak and I can see the shop needing to weld a new mount in place (isn't uncommon at all); and this is the only mount point that would require welding vs replacement.

If that isn't what the shop is doing, be wary of their work and ask more questions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2002 Focus wagon engine/transmission mount welding?

Hi again,

Thanks for your suggestions!

Background is that I have been asking a few mechanics to fix the rumbling and vibration of the motor which only happens when it is in gear (its automatic). It settles right down when in neutral.

I had someone on JustAnswer suggest that it might need welding, so mentioned it to my current mechanic - no action on my suggestion again. He instead welded up my exhaust system, which he said was only held up by one support...

So I will make notes of your suggestions and get them in to him.

He has a bit of an attitude about a rebuild car, but I got a good price on it and am loving this little wagon-its perfect for me! So will keep on trying to find out the source of the vibration until solved. It didn't do this when I bought it at 79000 klics on the od. in July, 2008. Just started rumbling 4 months ago.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Hi again,

Background is that I have been asking a few mechanics to fix the rumbling and vibration of the motor which only happens when it is in gear (its automatic). It settles right down when in neutral.

I had someone on JustAnswer suggest that it might need welding, so mentioned it to my current mechanic - no action on my suggestion again. He instead welded up my exhaust system, which he said was only held up by one support...

He has a bit of an attitude about a rebuild car, but I got a good price on it and am loving this little wagon-its perfect for me! So will keep on trying to find out the source of the vibration until solved. It didn't do this when I bought it at 79000 klics on the od. in July, 2008. Just started rumbling 4 months ago.
dont know much about it but it would just need the mount replaced, or maybe its the tranny itself going bad. mine went out on me at 81000miles the one thats in it costed me $700 put in myself had 1500 miles on it from the junk yard so far ive put 23000 miles on it myself.

my tranny was rumbling a little while in drive aswell stoped in neutral and did it even more in reverse and about 2-3 months later it was slipping bad.

·
R.I.P Kona
12,868 Posts
Transmission is possible but usually a noticeable increase in vibration is a sign the passenger side motor mount is going out or went out. You can readily check this yourself as its under the coolant reservoir. Usually has a black cap on it that just pops off. Under the cap is the rubber fluid filled dampener. It should be kinda rounded on top and squishy. If its flat and hard then the mount is out. Usually cost $40-$70 for it and only takes about 15 minutes to change. Just need a jack and some metric sockets and you're good to go. If the mount is still squishy then it is most likely something else.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have had this problem for a long time now, the vibration on the car which has gotten worst. After several attempts on getting quotes I gave up I thought it was to much money for the work that is suppose to be. If I had the adequate tools for it I would do it myself ans save tons of money.

·
R.I.P Kona
12,868 Posts
If it is your passenger mount then just some tools and a mount. Socket set about $20-$30, mount $40-$70 and a jack $30-$40. Or maybe you could borrow a jack and socket set. Like I said only takes about 15-20 minutes to change. Good luck with whichever route you go.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Is both mounts, but my worries is that if you take one out the motor has to be secure meaning you need to be careful so it won't fall...is that right?

·
R.I.P Kona
12,868 Posts
Put jack under oil pan( make sure you have something like an old paper back novel or some rags on the jack support so you don't dent pan) to support engine and do pass side mount. Then put jack under trans for support and do driver side. There is no worries about engine falling or being unstable. Motor will not fall. As long as one mount worn out or not is still bolted up you could even shake it around abit(but don't try just to be safe) and it won't fall out.

·
R.I.P Kona
12,868 Posts
When my vibrations got bad went to ford dealer and they wanted $400-$500 labor and a day to do it. And that was just for the passenger mount only. Spent about $150 on part and tools and 20 mins later done. Even took it baklck out to paint it and reinstalled it along with driver side also painted.

·
Registered
46 Posts
wow that is cheap, down here the least expensive they were offering me was $800 you can imagine the rest of the quotes. That is why I never done the job with a mechanic is ridiculous! And my car rattles like Maracas LOL

·
R.I.P Kona
12,868 Posts
$800 labor to do one mount? Holy crap! Think I would had a coronary. And I thought the $400 a dealership wanted was crazy. Remind me to never move to Florida lol.

·
R.I.P Kona
12,868 Posts
You can get Ford mounts from cfm but they are cheaper from Tousley Ford( they have a forum over on Focaljet). Have heard too many bad stories about mounts from autoparts stores not last very long so I didn't want to chance it. Know some people have had good luck though.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Hi again,

You know. It sounds weird when you see someone saying to ignore the advice given on another website and to take someone else's from another website, but do just that. lol.

None of the mounts should be welded. they are all bolt on as someone else mentioned. All parts of them including the brackets are replaceable. I don't have a clue what that person said but they must be thinking of some really old car or honestly don't have a clue. I don't remember if JustAnswer is a pay-for-an-answer site and people throw out any answer they can think of to get some money or what. But that's terrible advice.

The mount that creates the most prominent vibration is the passenger mount on these cars. See how violent the engine shakes when you shift it from drive to reverse and back again a few times.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ford dealerships

I don't know about other places, but a Ford dealership in London ONt Canada charged me $700 for a starter motor replacement. My new mechanic was shocked, said it should have only been half that at most.

Ford dealerships here have a bad rep for overpricing, and the work is not good either. They didn't even clean up the connections when replacing. My new mechanic wanted to talk to them, but I let it go. Won't ever go back, and tell friends to be very careful.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts