Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start off by saying that I don't drive my car very slowly, but I'm also not super aggressive with it, but the highest mpgs I've had since owning this car (about 3 or 4 months now) was 29mpg. Even on the highway I was getting only just in the 30s at no more than 75mph. And that was the highest I've ever gotten, now I'm averaging around 26 or 27 mpg. It's all country roads and city driving, averaging about 45 mph. Reading all the reviews on this car people are reporting far higher numbers than what I am getting and I was wondering if anyone else is having the same problem that I am? Could it be something that I need to repair on my car?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Sounds pretty normal actually.

My earlier duratec gets 29 at best driven mostly for mileage in mixed use, and this summer I went through 4 tanks on the hwy to & from Focus Fest with 36+ as the result. I've gotten as high as 38, but that was on a tank that was all hwy. at 67.

High 20's for mixed use that's "not too aggressive" matches my results as well.

I've seen similar reports for all years of the duratec engine Focus models, some do a little better but it's usually a function of the fuel avail. and/or driving habits. E10 is the norm now, and that gets less than E0 for MPG.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Seeing as you have a coupe you probably have the 215/45R17 tires. I noticed my MPG was a bit less with my summer tires (previously mentioned size) versus my snow tires which are 195/60R15. It could also depend on the brand/model of tires you're using. I also noticed an improvement in MPG after I replaced my serpentine belt tensioner which was getting a little rattley sounding at lower RPMs.

Just some things to check. Also if you have an automatic you may have a different final gear ratio due to it being a coupe which could cause less MPG than other trims.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Replace the usual items, and report back. By usual items I mean, air filter, fuel filter, and spark plugs. Make sure your tires are at the recommended PSI, and do a little research to find out if your tire is a LRR (low rolling resistance) tire or not.

Your mileage doesn't seem much different then mine, and I'm boosted. I've seen as low as 21 and as high as 46.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Replace the usual items, and report back. By usual items I mean, air filter, fuel filter, and spark plugs. Make sure your tires are at the recommended PSI, and do a little research to find out if your tire is a LRR (low rolling resistance) tire or not.

Your mileage doesn't seem much different then mine, and I'm boosted. I've seen as low as 21 and as high as 46.
I already have replaced my spark plugs and put in a k&n air filter and those both helped for a little while, but the affect seems to have worn off. As far as my tires go they are cheap knock-off tires that the dealer must have put on my car before I bought it. I'm just waiting for them to wear away so I can get actually good tires. And I always make sure to keep them at the proper psi.

·
Registered
578 Posts
being in illinois we can rule out altitude.

these cars should get right about 35 hwy @70mph. up to 47 @ 45mph and level terrain. city mileage is 30~33 mpg.

do you let your car idle and warm up? the computer calculates gallons burned not miles driven. idling will drive your numbers down.

make sure the fuel you are using has a low ethanol content. under 15% hopefully no more than 10%

i am not easy on my car and still turn 35 mpg average. usually when winter fuel is used that number drops to 33 mpg and if it is severely cold (0deg) 30mpg. i am running the 215/45/17 with continental extreme contact dws

try jacking up the car and seeing how much resistance there is. are the brakes dragging?
if you have a scan tool look at the stats. is your baro sensor reporting the same as your local weather station? what are the fuel trims?

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
My little 2.3 always gets 24-26, (over the last 45k miles) but we have lots of traffic and I drive 85 on the highway. I think it has steeper gearing being a pzev as well.

Some people's reported mileage seems bs, I heard one guy here calculate it by filling up, driving 40 miles, then filling it up again. It took one gallon so he was convinced his car gets 40mpg.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts