Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was driving the car today and I started hearing a weird whistling sound coming from the engine bay. i turned off the radio to listen and whenever i put any kind of load on the engine (even barely touching the gas) and im in 3rd, 4th, or 5th at about 2000rpms it starts to whistle and it gets higher pitched with the engine. its not the turbo.

could it possibly have something to do with the clutch/flywheel? i was goin about 40mph in neutral and blipped the throttle to shift to 4th without using the clutch and as i was slightly pushing it into 4th the whistle was there and it got lower pitched with the engine speed slowing down and then it went it gear like normal. then putting load on the engine caused the sound again.

any ideas?

also, when in neutral with the foot off of the clutch the clutch/flywheel has been makin a lot of noise lately. more than before. it used to a little bit.. then after it was broken in it only made a little noise when the a/c was on. now its considerably louder.. everything still drives fine though. shifts perfect..

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
streetracer;2493693 i put any kind of load on the engine (even barely touching the gas) and im in 3rd said:
its when the car is under load, but the turbo is definitely not spooling. the boost gauge can be reading 17 vacuum and it make the noise

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
throwout bearing, intake whistle, and your chatter is probs from the lightweight flywheel

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
can the throwout bearing cause a whistle? what do you mean intake whistle?

and yeah i was figuring it was cuz of the lightweight flywheel, but why would it be worse sometimes than other times?

·
Registered
642 Posts
i always thought it was my throttle body makin that sound. when the air passes over the butterfly thing in your t/b. it makes a sound. i think

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah but ive never heard it before.. dunno if ive just never noticed it or what..

all of the vacuum lines are fine too..

ok so i just went for a drive and it is still doing it. i wanted to mention i cant hear it when the window is down, only up and its pretty quiet.. i also noticed that if i shift front 3rd to 5th its makes a kind of whistle for a second too (sounds kind of like a person whistling quietly while humming if that makes any sense). does that mean it has something to do with the tranny? could it be a t/o bearing? im 99% sure i replaced that about 4000 miles ago..

·
FF Affiliate
31,098 Posts
its when the car is under load, but the turbo is definitely not spooling. the boost gauge can be reading 17 vacuum and it make the noise
If the engine is running it is spooling , at 1200 to 1500 RPM the turbo is spooling up , engine at idle your turbo could be at as much as 3000RPM and at 1500 turbo rpm could be as much as 4000RPM

Turbo like yours at full boost could be at as much as 24 to 26,000 RPM or more

Tom

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
do you have a cai? if yes, i would have to say its that. its geting cooler/cold out now. the air is denser. you may just have not had it b4. try to step on it at around 3k, see if u hear it loud and clear then.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a 2007 Chevy Cobalt SS Supercharged that was totaled (hit by a drunk driver) and my focus makes a noise EXACTLY like the cobalts supercharger whine. I have no idea what it is. Is that the sound you are talking about? only happens to me when im on the gas.

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
what i meant by the intake/throttle body whistle is generally only heard in NA cars and sounds like a turbo spooling under half to full throttle.

i doubt that is what you are hearing because it is louder outside the car than it and also idk if you would even hear it through your turbo piping.

can you hear it with the hood up?

also unfortunately i need to move you to technical chat as this is not a performance related discussion

·
Registered
150 Posts
Def. the throttle body, mine does the same thing, granted its not turbo but there is a very noticable whine frot the TB.

Mason

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I'm thinking it's the turbo...my friend's turbo started whistling right before it went out on him

·
Registered
16 Posts
can the throwout bearing cause a whistle? what do you mean intake whistle?

and yeah i was figuring it was cuz of the lightweight flywheel, but why would it be worse sometimes than other times?

intake whistle mmmm i think it means the intake system, you know when you upgrade to a CAI or short intake system, you get that whistle.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
i still think its the intake whistle. that or the turbo shaft has come loose and is scraping the insides.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts