Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys,

This weekend I changed both of my axels in my car. The boots where torn

and one of them was already making the popping noise so I decided to take

them off and replace them. Once I replaced them since I was already there

with the car in jack stand I drained the transmission fluid and I refilled the

transmission. I did not top it off the fluid, but that same day I notice that

from the middle part where the transmission links to the engine there was a

leak and it looked like it was comming from the Axle on the drive side. I left it

alone so I can fix it this friday but when I went and looked for the past 2

days there is no more leak its gone. SHould I be worried? Is that normal? or

what could be happening? Right now when I looked at the trainny its dried as

a bone there is no sign of any leaks. The transmission is working great no

grinding noise and not gears getting stuck. I am just worried that I saw it

leaked in the beggining.

Thanks for your input,

John

·
Registered
217 Posts
You're supposed to drain the fluid before removing the old half-shafts and fill the trans after installing the new ones. I'm not sure if it'd cause a leak, but it's a possibility. Let some other members chime in before any conclusions are made.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well when I removed the half shaft there was a leak and the fluid was black as hell, but when I refilled it the liquid was nice and bright red and that is the one that I found on the floor not the old liquid. Let me know if once again I am incorrect.

Thanks

John

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One more thing I just read a how to do the tranmission drain and filled and it says it takes 2.1 quarts of oil. I used 3 quarts the car was not level straight it was on jack stands. Could that maybe the issue why it was leaking?

Thanks

John

·
Registered
505 Posts
You could have overfilled it. You know you're not supposed to put ATF in it, right? You need actual gear lube from Ford. It is expensive but it will save your transmission. ATF just doesn't cut it, even if it calls for ATF in your owner's manual.

I've had a car where if you overfilled it, it would spew out of the vent hole. Not sure if the Focus has such a thing, however.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I called the ford dealer and they told me I needed Synthetic Mercon fluid and that is the one I bought from the store was I not suppose to do that?

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Sometimes when you first put something together, a seal might have some dirt under it's lip, etc, and it may leak at first but then seat itself and go on to give good service. If there's lube in the trans and at the correct level and the seal still isn't leaking, it'll most likely be fine.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I just looked under the car again and the leak is there it looks like it dripping from the passenger side axel and running down the transmission case.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
did we determine that you are still .9L overfull? would say to find level ground, pop the fill plug, let the excess drain out and then see if you are still leaking. you would be almost 50% overfull is this is case; that would be like 6L in the crankcase.

·
Registered
131 Posts
If you were careful doing your axle changeout, but overfilled your transmission by almost 50% with ATF, then there's a good chance that the overfilling is the cause of your apparent leak. I'd suggest you drain it completely and refill with 2.2 quarts of Motorcraft XT-M5-QS synthetic manual transmission lubricant, which should be available from your dealer. This is what Ford currently specs for this transmission. When in doubt do what the manufacturer says to. Good luck.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
From what I remember I had the car with jack stand up not street level and I used 3 quarts of the ATF... So I am not sure if that is overfilling it or not.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts