Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having an interesting problem with my car, I have a 2002 ZTS. On my way to work yesterday i made a sharp right hand turn and heard a loud clunk from the right front wheel, this clunking noise continued everytime i turned sharply or hit a bump, and the car now pulled to the right. When i got out at work i noticed the car was leaning slightly odd toward the right front, but i didn't have time to do anything about it then, and luckily i only live a mile from work, so when i got home i jacked up the car removed the right front wheel and immediately noticed what was wrong, as you can see from the pictures the spring appears to have slid over the side and is now pushing the wheel outward, the spring was binding up and this is what was causing my clunking. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and if so what did you all have to replace? Any help would be great! Thank you!

Attachments

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
Wow! That scares me...

Guess the whole thing would have to be replaced, and depending on the mileage/ wear on the others it wouldn't be a bad idea to do the other side and the rears. Perfect excuse for an SVT kit [thumb]

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Looks like the spring just collapsed... is it broken anyplace?
Like he said - SVT kit time! (I wouldn't replace just one spring)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It doesn't appear that the spring broke in any place, it just appears to have collapsed.

Where is a good place to get the svt suspension kit, and what is the approximate price?

Thank you!

·
RespectMyAuthoritah!
7,105 Posts

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
yea, i dont think you should even think about replacing one spring, b/c it would be new and wouldnt have the same wear as the others and it would probably be stiffer then all the other ones.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Ford has had a problem with front springs breaking. I have an 03, bought used. Brought it last weekend to the local dealer to check on any recalls needed, and I find that my springs now have a 10 year, 150k warranty. It's probably broken or bent, at least fractured. Take it to Ford and they'll fix it. Another thing I found out is that the original owner bought the 60/100,000 powertrain warranty, so that made me feel better. Good luck, I'm sure you shouldn't have a problem with the servicing dealer, a friend of mine with an 00 had the same problem.

·
Registered
91 Posts
check with your ford dealer, don't know for the us but in canada we have a tsb on this, the front coils springs have a extended warranty, i think the tsb # is 03m02 just ask your dealer they will replace 2 front springs and realign front wheel

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, hey thanks! I am going to look into that tsb, this isn't really a car i wan't to put money into, i just use to to get to work and back. Still the svt kit sounds nice, but for me free is better!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts