Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I am ready for the ridicule!

So I decided I HATE the "snorkel" piece on my stock intake system. I went out and bought (at lowes) a 3" or 4" rubber coupler and a nice piece of aluminum air venting (the really hard flexible kind) - Then I painted it with black high heat paint -

I am going to remove the "snorkel" today and put this coupler on it along with running this tube to the bottom of the car where more cold air comes in, fits nicely where the foglights should sit (but mine has none so it doesn't matter) and I am cutting a nice slit for the air to flow and adding window screen mesh for debris.

I figured, maybe this could push more cold air into the engine but keeping the stock setup.

What kind of MAF readings will I run into on this one? What should I do to make sure I get no MAF readings that are bad?

I'm just trying out different ideas, don't be too harsh.
-----

PREVIOUSLY:
I had setup the homemade CAI and used a nice K&N intake (cone). Everything sounded awesome and performed great... until I drove it 15 miles.. my revs would stay constant and it would NEVER shift with the CAI on ... Why? I had the MAF put into the right areas and everything. No leaks.

I then checked the tube, it was warm near the engine and cold at the bottom of the car. Possibly the culprit? If so (this was before I high heat painted the tube) was it just due to not having heat resistance?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
With the prev. homemade CAI did you make SURE the MAF was in the same direction as stock?

Plumbing one usually works best with the MAF tube reversed, and the MAF has to be reversed as well to have it pointed the right direction or it WON'T work right.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I pointed it with the arrow on the maf pointing toward the intake manifold / engine. It was in about the exact same spot as factory too in third of inch as factory placement.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also measured the inside to.make sure it was a similar distance from the inside wall. Maybe after high heat paint ill see what gains there are in performance.

·
FF Affiliate
31,093 Posts
Any time you change the MAF size or location your taking a hugh chance of changing your fueling and in some cases load which can change the spark advance , only way to know this is with a SCT xcal or a scan tool , to check the WOT fueling you have to have a wide band air fuel gauge

Tom

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
MAF tube diameter needs to be EXACTLY the same as stock, or tuning will be needed for it to work. Large enough difference the MAF won't work even with a tune, a 'Mafia" brand electronic box is used to equate the readings to a proper range for it to function (along with tuning).

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up doing this anyways. I removed the stock Snorkel and replaced it with a 3" tubing and put that down towards the front bumper and cut holes and meshed it so air could flow through to it. I'm almost done making it clip in/clip out for the tube itself for more secured airflow.

So far, it works fine, no ill effects on fuel just a small notice in sound and higher gear performance, very slight but enough to notice with all the air going into it now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts