1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fanatics,

2001 Ford Focus SE
110,000 miles

Today, after work, the Focus stalled about 5 times on the way home. Each time it did, the Check Engine light would come on, and a few times the Check Fuel Cap light would as well.

Because the battery and the alternator are about 9 months old, a friend thought it might be vapor lock or something similar. So, we bought a new fuel cap and also put in some sort of fuel additive that he recommended.

However, the car is still stalling. But, I noticed that - a few times - the car would slow down like it was *about* to stop, but it wouldn't if I pushed down on the accelerator. And, oddly enough, the Doors Ajar light would come on.

The last two times it stalled, the windshield wipers turned on before it turned off. I took it to AutoZone: no codes, and the battery tested fine.

Finally, about a block from the house, it turned off and would not start. Nothing electrical works, even though - again - the battery is 9 months old and it had just tested fine 10 minutes earlier. I waited a few minutes, but the car is acting like the battery is dead, although that doesn't seem possible.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
12 Posts
focus stalling

I had a simular issue with mine. It did turn out to be a bad battery, It has been around 100 degrees and air was on as well as some other electrical load, ie one butt warmer. When I went to start after it had stalled it clicked, I had to jump and left elec load off and ran it ten mins and then it would start. I haven't driven it much 15 miles. So far no eng ck or fuel cap lights and no shaking or stalling. So just prayin may be check your battery under a load.

·
Premium Member
21,259 Posts
---->And, oddly enough, the Doors Ajar light would come on.

----->The last two times it stalled, the windshield wipers turned on before it turned off.
That tells me it's the negative battery terminal, and not only the negative battery terminal itself, but the 2 smaller wires that connect to the terminal to make the negative connections for some of the wiring.

Mine were broken at the ring terminals that allowed the wires to be connected to the negative battery terminal. It was a subtle break, and I wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't pulled on the wires. I replaced the ring terminal- crimping both wires under one ring terminal because all I had was a yellow terminal for #10 wires- no more windshield wipers starting on their own, or door ajar lights when all doors are closed.

Go inspect that negative battery terminal, and remove those smaller wires that connect to the terminal. When you repair the wiring and start the engine, allow the engine to idle for 6-7 minutes so the ECU can perform it's timed A/F test.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.