Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this was never an issue over the past year or so (I got my FF early this year), but now that the winter is starting to roll in I'd like to get this sorted, and have no idea where to start.

The car runs fine without issue, except that as soon as I turn on the A/C or the Heater (doesn't matter which) the car starts making a terrible squealing noise. This goes away when I'm up to speed (I can use the A/C when I'm on the highway for example), but if I'm going slower or stopped at a traffic light, the squeal won't stop unless I turn the A/C off. [???:)]

Any ideas of what this might be? I should also mention that this only happens when the engine is running. If I turn the A/C on when it's drawing power off the battery, it's quiet as a mouse.

Thanks for any help you can give. It's much appreciated.

·
Registered
148 Posts
If the belt and tensioner are good then it sounds like the A/C Clutch. I would use a mechanics stethoscope to localize the sound. The heater can also engage the A/C. Usually if you watch the A/C Compressor you can notice the noise starting when it energizes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the belt and tensioner are good then it sounds like the A/C Clutch. I would use a mechanics stethoscope to localize the sound. The heater can also engage the A/C. Usually if you watch the A/C Compressor you can notice the noise starting when it energizes.
Yeah my first thought was the belt since the car has about 120k miles on it and I'm not sure when or if the belts ever been replaced

I'm really hoping it's not a bad tensioner or because I haven't the first clue on how to fix that and I can't really afford a mechanic.

I'm not familiar with the individual components of the A/C unit so I will look into the clutch being bad.

·
Registered
16,186 Posts
Another one that thinks the car better last forever as he has no money to fix it. Good luck with that over a lifetime..........lots of bumps coming up.

News flash..............the car does NOT care.

Belt or tensioner. Worn compressor may still work but can drag enough to skid the belt to squeal too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another one that thinks the car better last forever as he has no money to fix it. Good luck with that over a lifetime..........lots of bumps coming up.

News flash..............the car does NOT care.

Belt or tensioner. Worn compressor may still work but can drag enough to skid the belt to squeal too.
Woah dude. No need to be a dick. I realize the car is old, and I know it's not gonna last forever, but what would you have me do? Let the car get worse by not doing anything about it?
I'm only trying to get some info from people who know more than me so I don't get ripped off by a shady mechanic.

·
Registered
16,186 Posts
I really can't get any more negative than what OP posted......

'I'm really hoping it's not a bad tensioner or because I haven't the first clue on how to fix that and I can't really afford a mechanic.'

Jammed tight in a box there, sure as shootin'. Yet, I'M the one with the problem. (chuckle)

OoouH yay the drivers be needin' more fixin' than the cars.............always.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Replacing the belt and tensioner is not a bad job. If you search YouTube, you'll find it. The AC clutch is probably best left to a pro, if you're not familiar with it.

·
Registered
499 Posts
At certain temperature settings, I was also hearing some loud, annoying squealing noises. After some troubleshooting, I traced the noise to my wife sitting beside me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts