Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I have a 2002 ford focus 92,000 miles on it auto tranny and randomly when I drive it the car will sometimes (usually at low speed) will shift completely out of gear with a clunk sound and the power train gear warning light will come on. This usually happens at low speed. Trans fluid is a little on the brown side and a bit full had some bubbles in it when done driving as well. What could be my issue? No codes and it will shift back into gear after a second or stall out completely.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Car rattling so much can't tell. Maybe mount issue?
Update i changed the fluid out and put new in it was red except there was quite a bit of sludge at the bottom after putting in the fluid the problem is persisting yet the shifts are nice and crisp except for when it will go out of gear which happens every once in a while. Could it be the torque converter? And on super hard acceleration it will do it more often.

· Registered
19,090 Posts
Sludge is wear material. Converter cannot not work then go back to working, either broke or not broke.

That trans is well known for driver side end cover wear causing hydraulic leaks that commonly show your problem. Not changing fluid gets you there much faster.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sludge is wear material. Converter cannot not work then go back to working, either broke or not broke.

That trans is well known for driver side end cover wear causing hydraulic leaks that commonly show your problem. Not changing fluid gets you there much faster.
Ok I appreciate your help lol I bought the csr thinking it was good with the red trans fluid and it being only 92k miles lol. Only took 1 week of driving to start acting up It was only 750 so im not rlly mad abt it will put in some lucas oil after sypining out some old and see if there might be any improvement but prolly will just end up getting rid of it lol

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update pt2 focus running great found out that the battery power cable was a little loose when working on the car tightened her back up and drives fine now. Drove 100 miles shifting smooth. Thanks for everyone replies.

· Registered
19,090 Posts
Don't be surprised if it comes back as the battery may have shown what is just under the water. I've had 3 of the cars and all have had that cable issue yet not one ever showed those shifting issues.

Hoping I'm wrong of course and luck.

Tightening may not help for long either, those cables have a problem with getting loose even when dead tight, a terminal design issue. Changing the terminal is the fix there. If you have ever cleaned the terminal you can practically guarantee more trouble in the future with it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts