Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey,
my girlfriend has a 2000 Focus Sedan. I dont know much about them but if more information is needed I can check the car for it. She is tall at 6' and is uncomfortable while driving as she has long legs.

What I am looking to find out, is there a seat combination...seat swap or other customization that will allow for the seat to sit further back? The rear seat room is of no consequence.

I can put in the labor to do the swap if there is one. I've tried searching but this seams like a pretty unique problem and most of the threads I've come by people are looking for leather or better bolster. We are just trying for more leg room. Dont have the money to put towards a new car payment so we (I) have to get this to work lol.

Thanks in advance for your advice/input. If there is a topic that already discusses this please point me in that direction and I'm more than happy to read

·
Registered
328 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
take front out all together. she can sit in the back seat... but in seriousness, im 6 foot 2 and have no issue in my car, so maybe 05 seats, idk if the is a differance though. ^^^custom rails with aftermarket seats is pricey, but would definatly be a fix. good luck.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
The seat just bolts to the floor of the car.
Creating a plate to bolt into the normal location, with holes for new bolts for the seat moved rearward is certainly possible. The one issue is the plate would have to be heavy enough to NOT fail in a crash...
You could use two narrower plates,, but make them wide enough so they will not just bend up in a crash..
The plate (s) would also have to be about 4 mm thick IMO maybe more.. If it is home made.

You could also farbricate the plate to fit OVER the stock seat frame base, bolting the seat frame UP to the plate, then the plate down to the original floor holes. this would be ideal..!!! (and it could then be thinner too 2mm steel would do in that case..)
If a kit, then they would have figured out the strength needed...
(individual straps no way. as the could rotate OR lift up, and put way too much rotational force on the bolts and snap them off the floor. A plate will not have those forces as great a factor in a crash.

(i made a plate to hold a CD changer to fit under the passenger seat, using the bolts from the seat to hold the changer mounting plate between floor and seat.. years ago.. just saying.. It is not hard to do..)

Added: )One issue might be the seatbelt door part. If you are seated too far back. the seatbelt frame part may be in the wrong place... (but since some folks sit wayyyy tilted back, and seem ok, it may not be any issue..)

·
Registered
566 Posts
^ Now that is call innovation! I like this idea. Good stuff!

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I am 6-02 and have similar issues.
My major gripe isn't how far the seat can be moved back, but how far away the steering wheel is. I drive with the seal all the way back on every car I have owned, but my arms are nearly straight when driving the Focus, even with the wheel telescoped all the way out and tilted all the way down. There was a set of modified seat brackets offered by a FF member once, I was going to get them except the steering wheel would be unreachable.
(for the smart asses: no, I do not have short little T-rex arms)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you for the quick responses. the Plating idea seems interesting. I'm going to roll it around in my head to see if I can pull it off safely.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I am 6-02 and have similar issues.
My major gripe isn't how far the seat can be moved back, but how far away the steering wheel is. I drive with the seal all the way back on every car I have owned, but my arms are nearly straight when driving the Focus, even with the wheel telescoped all the way out and tilted all the way down. There was a set of modified seat brackets offered by a FF member once, I was going to get them except the steering wheel would be unreachable.
(for the smart asses: no, I do not have short little T-rex arms)
You must be tilting the seat back a LOT also, for that to be a problem.
I see people with the seat tilted so far back I am amazed they can drive at all.. Like they are in a recliner and still driving a car...
I have my seat back almost as straight up as it can get...

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Quite the opposite, tilting the seat back to a more upright position is the first thing I do when I ride in other people's cars. Anytime somebody else goes to drive my car, they always complain about the seat being vertical.

I crank the seat bottom almost all the way up as well.

Maybe it's really the lack of useable armrests that gives the feeling of having my arms outstretched to a less comfortable position.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ok, so I am about 6'2" as well. I have a 2001 ZX3; my seat is not all the way back (need room for the kids), the lower seat is all the way down, the back is reclined a little, and the steering wheel is all the way out. I enjoy sitting in the car this way, but everybody is different.

Try lowering the lower seat down, this helped me a lot.

·
So mote be it
8,908 Posts
Ok, so I am about 6'2" as well. I have a 2001 ZX3; my seat is not all the way back (need room for the kids), the lower seat is all the way down, the back is reclined a little, and the steering wheel is all the way out. I enjoy sitting in the car this way, but everybody is different.

Try lowering the lower seat down, this helped me a lot.
Yeah im in the 6' club as well and have no issues. Seat is all the way back, as low as it goes and slightly reclined. I dont have telescoping or tilting steering wheel either and am pretty comfortable.

OP, know any one else with a Focus (used car lot?) Try out their seats, see if there is any difference. The Focus is generally well suited for taller people, plenty of head room and leg room for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts