Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have a 2003 ZX3 with the 2.0 Zetec. My car will not go over 85 mph and will not go over 5k RPMs or its pretty hard to. It's like my car starts to pull and then kind of stops. I am getting pretty bad gas mileage like 22 MPG. My car has 62k miles. I have checked the compression and it is showing everything is great. I am showing 2 codes for my CEL. I have the EGR Valve code and a Vacuum leak. Now I brought my car to another place and they said that I was getting codes from my Cat Converter and both O2 sensors. Could this be making my car run too rich or too lean and is causing the car to not go? Thanks for reading and I hope that ya'll can help.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Yes it can, I belive the O2 sensors are where your car derives its long and short term fuel trim.

You really need to get the codes though, if two places are saying diffrent things, which is what it seems. The vacuum leaks is probably just a vacuum hose that got dissconnected, mine did this once and it threw a cel and ran poorly. You should look for loose hoses, just give them all a one time looks it will take 15 minutes.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
I'd go with what it says for now.

First off, clean all your spark plugs, and it might not be a bad idea to replace the wires now. You could also replace the plugs. For the EGR, remove it and spray with carb cleaner. If you can rent a vacuum pump to actuate the EGR, then do that while you're cleaning it. I'd also take a very good look at the vacuum lines leading to the DPFE as those could be your leak.

Finding a vacuum leak is a difficult and time consuming analysis. There are tricks that can help, but these are not foolproof by any means. I use a can of starting fluid to spray around under the hood in the areas I think there might be a vacuum leak. If you spray it near a vacuum leak, the engine idle will increase, but sometimes it's not as easy to do as that. The idle increase might not be as evident as you'd think. It all depends on the size and proximity of the vacuum leak.

If a vacuum leak is causing a good part of your running problem, it will be a large one. You might even be able to hear a sucking sound- however, it could be something like an intake manifold gasket leak. So spray starting fluid around where the intake and head meet- and definitely do that for the first test if you're using starting fluid.

At a guess, the combination of a vacuum leak and a stuck EGR (assuming it's stuck open) could be together in causing the problem your experiencing. The EGR would increase intake temperature, and the vacuum leak would cause more air than was metered to be introduced in the engine. This would cause a horrible lean condition which would probably also throw O2 sensor codes as the sensor would be getting strange readings according to what the computer thought was being introduced into the engine. This would most likely cause some spark knock, and the knock sensor would retard timing. Depending on how bad it is, it might even go into failsafe mode.

Best of luck. I have a feeling you'll find multiple problems that contribute to what you're experiencing.

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
symptoms sound like a possible fuel pump or filter as well. call a local ford dealership and see if the recall thingie has been done on your car. all you gotta do is call and tell them you heard there was some type of recall on the zetec focus for the fuel pump and give your vin when they ask for it. if it hasnt been done go ahead and fuel pump replaced because it wont cost you anything anyway. however a bad pump or filter probably wouldn't cause it to throw those codes so it may not have a thing to do with it but it could also be a contributing factor. just call anyway tho. if its free its for me

1 - 4 of 4 Posts