Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed this after washing my car today. I can't figure out what would have caused this. Looks like a ring sort of pattern. Like the rings of a tree that you see when cut. Do you think touch up would help? I am hoping not to have to go the expensive route. So frustrating. Damage.jpg

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
I just noticed this after washing my car today. I can't figure out what would have caused this. Looks like a ring sort of pattern. Like the rings of a tree that you see when cut. Do you think touch up would help? I am hoping not to have to go the expensive route. So frustrating. View attachment 91281
Looks like an impact that replaced itself...

Dent replaced itself but paint isn't that flexible so it cracked...

That's IMO...

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I just noticed this after washing my car today. I can't figure out what would have caused this. Looks like a ring sort of pattern. Like the rings of a tree that you see when cut. Do you think touch up would help? I am hoping not to have to go the expensive route. So frustrating. View attachment 91281
Are ALL those whitish spots paint missing?
If so, I agree it is Hellish strange. the one comment of it being a dent repair gone bad is the only one which IMO makes sense.
Maybe the car HAD the dent prior to your purchase? and it was repaired, and only now is showing the failure of the paint?
Otherwise it sort of looks like something hit the car, and splattered around the object (but not under it.) So say a magical heavy but flat bottomed can shaped object hurtled out of the sky, hit your car and bounced off... However the shards of metal clinging to the sides of the obect hit your paint hard and chipped it in the pattern shown.

Nothing makes any sense...

Nope... one other thing: Acid. Or brake fluid.
All it had to do was the can or bottle placed in the center. then somehow it was banged or ? and the droplets of fluid popped up and out into the pattern shown. the stuff would not instantly cut through the paint, but would take a few days.. Especially if it was brake fluid. If the pattern is on a vertical surface.. maybe a powertool air jet blew some brake fluid off a container onto your car paint.. If the object was between the fluid and the air, it might leave the open clean area in the center...

Main thing is the brake fluid idea.. It could certainly leave a pattern like that if it was accidentally sprayed.. And no one would say anything.. as it would seem OK for at least several hours.. (and some folks do not know it will eat right through paint)

·
Registered
242 Posts
I agree with the above post, it looks like something pushed in the metal and flexed it, but not enough to dent it. The paint did not flex and cracked. It odes look like a small crease on the top or is it a shadow? Run your hand over the area. Where on the car is this? I could not tell?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is really weird! Might be shadows but no dents at all or creases. I've run my hand over it and it's completely smooth. After income tax maybe I'll have the dealer give me an estimate so I don't have to mess with touch up paint and screw it up.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Somebody hit your car with an egg. Had one with same pattern on my old car. Idiot kids egged the neighborhood. I didn't notice it as it was on passenger side for several days. That's what it looked like after I cleaned it off.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
I only know the answer to this because I used to drive a Porsche and yes I was/am a prick. I got egged and it looked like yours. Eggs will eat the paint off a car in a pattern. Here is another example of egg damage:

Attachments

·
Registered
472 Posts
I only know the answer to this because I used to drive a Porsche and yes I was/am a prick. I got egged and it looked like yours. Eggs will eat the paint off a car in a pattern. Here is another example of egg damage:
I just said that!!

[ninja]

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
That's super weird

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow! It must have been an egg from the looks of it then. I wouldn't have guessed. I didn't notice it though. It's been rainy for a while. Maybe when it happened it rained later and washed the egg off. Stupid kids.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Wow! It must have been an egg from the looks of it then. I wouldn't have guessed. I didn't notice it though. It's been rainy for a while. Maybe when it happened it rained later and washed the egg off. Stupid kids.
I got it quoted when it happened to mine and they wanted like $250 to fix it. Apparently something about the egg eats the paint. You have to wash it off n like minutes to avoid damage. I never got it fixed, didn't seem to hurt the primer under the paint so it never rusted or anything. Plus I already had a bunch of minor paint damage at that point anyway from driving in the woods, a few door dings, and my GF's kids doing careless kid stuff like opening my door into the car port pillar.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Its not the eggs content that eats the paint, rather the impact and shock wave as the egg collapses. Cos its a liquid rather than a solid. They are not harmless objects

If you look at the paint you'll see its fractured in concentric circles. Imagine the shock wave from an explosion sending a wave through the metal and lifting the paint up

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Eggs are no joke

·
Registered
472 Posts
Its not the eggs content that eats the paint, rather the impact and shock wave as the egg collapses. Cos its a liquid rather than a solid. They are not harmless objects

If you look at the paint you'll see its fractured in concentric circles. Imagine the shock wave from an explosion sending a wave through the metal and lifting the paint up
From doing some google-fu the problem is actually the acidity of the egg itself. It will actually eat right through clearcoat and the paint layer. The shell breaking into shards can make the process go faster cause it can scratch the clearcoat and paint on impact.

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5162067_do-eggs-damage-car-paint.html

·
Registered
136 Posts
But egg shell scratching and etching would show radial damage from the centre. This is concentric. Its impact damage

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fml! I just found three more of those damn marks on my roof. @&$?! Damn kids. Now it will be costly

1 - 20 of 24 Posts