Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This might be a bit long, sorry. I have a 2008 Focus SE, and a while back, I started having an issue. I would drive my car (short trip - to the store, etc.), be gone a bit, start it back up and the temp gauge would spike to or almost to, the red. Mechanic said don't worry about it. Then, I noticed that my heater won't work unless I was on the gas - in idle, nothing but cold air. Mechanic replaced the radiator cap, did a flush, said good to go.
Last week I noticed the temp gauge rising at a stop sign. Not a lot, just over midline. Still having the issue of temp spike on restart, still no heat unless on the gas. Mechanic thinks I'm crazy. Any ideas, anyone?
**Add- replaced the thermostat when this started, because it was stuck open.. then replaced the radiator cap after pressure test of the system. Plus, I keep losing coolant but can't find a leak.

·
Trump 2016
12,990 Posts
First get new mechanic. Take coolant tank cap off let motor run and see if fans start.No heat could mean bad thermostat.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Mechanic is an idiot.

The reason for the temp spike on restart is most likely due to it having no air flow to cool it down. So it gets very hot, when you re start, the temp gauge jumps. Like pasta said. Probably thermostat

·
Registered
658 Posts
Have the cooling system pressure tested and go from there.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Can't remember which of the MkII's had a radiator cap & which have the more typical (for a Focus) expansion tank with cap over on the fender area.

Radiator cap type you can look in to check for flow when it's warm, helps with guessing whether the water pump is OK - an unusual problem but it occasionally happens.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts