Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
43 Posts
My 2000 zx3 tends to overheat while running but not while driving.. The weird part is that this only happens during the winter (happened last year... this summer my coolant fan worked fine out of nowhere). My fan seems to come on only above its preferred temp. Sensors seem to look fine cant unplug them yet since I'm at work. Please help its annoying me!

Thanks

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
It was removed? Why was it removed?

The fan control circuit is heavily intertwined with the air conditoner circuitry. It might be that that's the problem then. Exactly what was removed and what remains? be specific, for example, is the original selector switch still hooked up, are the fan relays still there, etc.

·
Banned
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A/c hosing was removed. Theres no where to put any refrigrant... All relays wiring and senosers remain. A/c does not come on when I turn on "my a/c"

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
There's a place to check/charge the system on top of the dryer/receiver, and that's under the right front fender- ahead of the front tire.

Well, there's a high pressure switch (it's a double switch, actually), and a low pressure switch. I sort of suspect that your problem is related to the fact that you have zero pressure in the ac system, but I'm just not sure. Did the fans work ok before you disabled the ac?

·
Banned
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The A/c was disabled before I bought the car... And as I said before the past two summers the coolant fan has worked fine, but as soon as the temperature drops below about 50 it stop coming on.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
It could be a bad sender, Cylinder Head Temperature.

I was really hoping you'd be in a colder climate because then I was going to say your radiator is probably froze, alas you are not.

Looking back it seems you've had other electrical issues, 3rd brake light, alternator (which btw the svt and zetec are the same, different pulley is all), spark plug wires (btw nology is pointless). I would have to say those issues may have something to do with where you are now. I wouldn't doubt if you have a corrosion problem somewhere in a connector and this is giving you random troubles. I'd go through and inspect each and clean all the grounds, actually I'd just make new ones to be safe.

Also being metal will expand with heat it could (a real stretch) be that your cooling fan resistor is bad.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
It'd be good if you could get your hands on one of those temperature guns. Then you could shoot the head and see if there's any justification for the fans to be running when they do, and if the temp guage "accurate".

·
Banned
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I actually did a ground replacement a few months back. As for the spack plugs and brake light... My coil pack was bad... The wires to the 3BL were severed, and the alternator is just a spare part that I thought about wasting my time with. Im going to go a head and say sensor is bad. The wire pack to my fans is also looking a little rough. So hopefully in those will be a solution. I'll post results later, in the mean time let me know if anything else comes to mind...
Thanks a lot!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts