Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i put a new wheel bearing in my 02 svtf today, d/s front. got it all put back together and headed out for a test run...the abs light is on now and when i first started it the "!" light was on as well. i turned the car off and re-started it, the "!" light is now off but the abs light remains on. i was sure to be careful when i pulled the sensor out of the knuckle, and yes i re-installed it(that was the first thing i checked...lol...are there wheel bearings and snap rings that are specific to models with abs? i imagine i got the right one cause i got it from a buddy that works at ford and he used my vin....any ideas??? what is that "!" light anyway? thanks...jason

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
can anyone else chime in on this about the bearing being in backwards, not that i dont believe you but i want to be sure before i go back to the shop and lose my s**t.....

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah....its in backwards. lol. so with that light on does that just mean until i get this fixed i will have no abs or does that affect the brake bias as well?

thanks,

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i just gave it a quick test up on the gravel parking lot here at work.....4 wheel lock, fun times!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but can anyone explain how the orientation of the bearing in the knuckle manages to affect the sensor/tone ring interaction? I have seen information as to the importance of having the correct color bearing seal (I believe it was black) facing toward the transmission, but have never seen an explanation of the mechanics of why this is necessary.
Thanks for any info you can offer,
Monoblanco

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
looking at the knuckle, on top behind the hub is the abs sensor that fits in a hole. the hole runs from the top of the knuckle to the back of the bearing. on the back of the bearing there is a abs ring. the sensor sits just behind the tone ring on the bearing. when you are installing the snap ring, make sure it does not cover the hole for the sensor, if so the sensor will contact the ring and not seat properly.

·
Registered
89 Posts
also i believe the sensor is magnetic so if the bearing is on backwards it wont pick the field. this happened when i got it done at the ford dealer (of all places) turned out the bearing was in backwards.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but can anyone explain how the orientation of the bearing in the knuckle manages to affect the sensor/tone ring interaction? I have seen information as to the importance of having the correct color bearing seal (I believe it was black) facing toward the transmission, but have never seen an explanation of the mechanics of why this is necessary.
Thanks for any info you can offer,
Monoblanco
I can't find this information anywhere either. The Timken bearings have one black seal and one read seal. I can not find any literature telling me whether the black seal is toward the transmission and sensor, or the red one.

·
Registered
17,165 Posts
Black or red, black or orange, black or green, black or whatever other color. The encoded side is black or very dark gray, it's a magnetic disk. The black side goes toward the sensor, the magnetic sensor then reads it just like a floppy disk. The various colored other side is simply a plastic seal and whatever color they use to make it.

Used to sell them and made sure user always knew which side went toward sensor. No complaints ever unless they screwed up installing part.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts