Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04 with 38k miles. Recently I have notice that if I do a hard take off I sometimes hear a pretty loud pop from the engine bay/front suspension. I didnt know if anyone has had this happen to them and knows if it is an bushing in the suspension going bad or a bad motor mount or even maybe an axle problem. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Mine used to do it until I replaced that tranny mount with one from C-F-M, doesn't do it anymore. Mine used to do it if I was cruisin at like 45 and threw it into second, but it would do it a couple of times, kinda scared me, but its all good to go now. Plus that motor mount is sweet as hell, hardly any wheelhop now!

Sean

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Mine used to do it until I replaced that tranny mount with one from C-F-M, doesn't do it anymore. Mine used to do it if I was cruisin at like 45 and threw it into second, but it would do it a couple of times, kinda scared me, but its all good to go now. Plus that motor mount is sweet as hell, hardly any wheelhop now!

Sean
sorry...off topic. THis might be a stupid question to please bear with me on this one. How does the engine mounts have anything to do with wheel hop?

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
Do you hear it while power shifting also? That would be the rear trans mount.

A popping noise only while taking off though could be just about anything in the front suspension. I'd start looking at the endlinks first, as well as the strut mount bolts and the upper engine mounts.

·
Registered
136 Posts
sorry...off topic. THis might be a stupid question to please bear with me on this one. How does the engine mounts have anything to do with wheel hop?
Front wheel drive, the motor/tranny bounce around, causing the wheels to drible, so if you put stiffer mounts on, it won't do that.

Soneone correct me if I'm wrong.

Sean.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
^ im with you on that one... but it could be something else too

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it does it on hard take off mostly or if a shift hard into second. I ususally dont have to shift hard into 3,4,5,6 so I have noticed it there. Is the rear trans mount the dogbone mount? Cause I know it has a VF dogbone mount from the previous owner.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I had the same problem and i got the CFM tranny mount and it does it alot less now still occasionaly but not near as often.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
dogbone and if ur shifting hard into 2nd and not 3 4 or 5 why r u hauling up to 60 to slow done ? bad for clutch if u do it all the time just my 2 cents i could be misunderstanding about what u said so sorry lol

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i dont do it all the time...if i have to take off quickly to show someone up or to get around someone that is when i have to shift hard and most of the time its on city streets so speed limits come into play. thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
531 Posts
had the same problem with my 04. i replace the factory rubber bushings in the stock dog bone with polyurathane ones and noticed a big diff. also doesnt make the loud pop anymore. if you go to steeda they sell both of the bushings for 19 dollars plus shipping.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it has a vf dogbone mount already, and over the past few days havent heard the popping anymore. i'll have my buddy at the dealership look at it when i take it in for its nest oil change

1 - 13 of 13 Posts