Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, while driving 03 SVT, hit a huge pothole and the car starts making a sound like a belt is broke (no broken belts) and making a thump sound, thwack thwack thwack. Sound is coming from underneath battery box. It does it in idle, and when driving slowly. Upon higher speeds, if I let up on throttle, it goes away. Car drives fine, otherwise. Any ideas, forumers?

Stromberg2

·
Registered
243 Posts
I know this is nothing more than stating the obvious but the only thing that is under the battery is the transmission. Is the car still shifting fine?

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Idling,
Do you mean moving at idle or stationary?

Stationary, I can't think of a single thing on the DS that would make any noise like you're describing.

Moving, hard to say really. Best bet is to poke around and look for anything obviously damaged, scrape marks are a good thing to look for and point towards damage. Best guesses I have would be: torn CV boot, loose inner fender liner, broken swaybar endlink, loose bumper lip, loose bumper splash shield, loose/bent catalytic converter heat shield or something wrapped around the axle shaft.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Idling, sitting in the driveway. Moving, on the road till I reach about 35, if I let up off the gas, it stops. Still shifts fine. Thanks, I'll check back later.

Thanks,
Stromberg2

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
That's the IMRC motor. It pulls the intake manifold to long-runner position when you start the car, and short runner position above 5k RPM. Either the cable broke off of the intake manifold or the motor itself went bad.

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
Check that the post isn't broken on the intake manifold. If it is, just order a new "DSI lever." I hear that a new IMRC motor can be pretty pricey, so try a junkyard or refurb or someone parting out an SVT. Otherwise, give Steve at Tousley Ford a call for a good price; he can get the lever, too: 1-800-328-9552

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, that was funny! Since I got your ear, one other problem with car is it idles weird. Or, when I'm driving it will stall out, though not all the time. The battery light will come on during stall. Sometimes it recovers. Just not a smooth idle. Comparing it to a heart monitor is what it sounds like. The tach does not act accordingly...I mean, when the car is wooh, wooh, wooh, instead of smooth, tach stays level. Not quite sure it's the timing, it is throwing codes 1381, ugh, and 0141.

Strom

1 - 15 of 15 Posts