Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whenever i relase the brake pedal after it was pressed it squeaks.. this happens every time no matter what the climate... why is this.. my front brakes are like new...

thanks

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
The pads may be glazed, only a quick squeek, or does it stay?

·
Registered
800 Posts
i think its coming from the rear drums mine does it i think its a common problem

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
You need to take off the rear drums and clean everything inside with brake cleaner.
Then lube the hell out of all the contact points, and this fixes the problem.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I have had the same issue , if its nothing like a squeek from the brakes its most likely from the master cylinder. I just let mine do the sound , without any problems for 200KMiles.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Determine if its the front or rear.

If front, deglaze the pads with some 200 grit sandpaper, and clean the discs off with brake clean and a scotchbrite at least.

If its the rear, do as loudfocus said, or ditch those hideous drums and do an SVT disc swap ( I did); drums on our cars is shameful. Blah!

·
Registered
20 Posts
brake noise ! is yours the same ?

[?|]I have had a simlar problem with my left front wheel making a banging noise each time the wheel makes a revolution ,when i took the wheel of i discoverd the rim was scraping over the brake caliper ,shiney metal scraping marks on rim and back OF caliper,i just have to figure out what is causing the caliper to rub the rim ?

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
You need to take off the rear drums and clean everything inside with brake cleaner.
Then lube the hell out of all the contact points, and this fixes the problem.
This happened with mine, and that fixed it. This sound is very high pitched.

You need Brake Parts grease, or Brake Caliper grease specifically. Other greases might not hold up to the heat that can build up in drum brakes. Although it's not like you'd notice it if the rears didn't work- the fronts do 80% of the work regardless of the type.

There are 4 pads where the shoes make contact with the drum back plate that should be greased. Have a wire brush, and air handy if you have any to get rid of the dust.

In the fronts, there are 2 kinds of squeals from the pads under normal operation. The first is a squealing when the brake is applied. This results from vibration, and is why we put anti-squeal on the back of the pads. Sometimes it can lose it's effect over time causing the sound, or if none was applied when the last pad change was done.

The second is when brake pads squeal while the brake is not applied but the car is moving. The most common cause is old pads, but another cause is what Viney mentioned. Old pads will squeal because of a metal squealer built into the pad to tell the driver when the pads are old. You usually get about 2 weeks of squeal before it disappears, and the pads start to grind into the rotor. You'll see the squealer if you look for it. If your pads are thin on either side, this is what's causing the sound- if not, then sand as Viney mentioned, and apply anti-squeal to the back of the pads again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts