Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Focus Sport SE. I am having a weird problem where on hot days my Focus will start losing power, for example I won't be able to accelerate above say 60 kmh... the car will just suddenly feel really erratic and feel like it going to stall. Eventually it does stall... but will be fine again for awhile when I restart the car. This only happens on hot days, only happens if I've been driving for awhile and seems to be more likely to happen on hills.

The garage I took it to originally thought it was the catalytic converter, so they hollowed it out, but that didn't help. They then discovered that the rad fan wasn't coming on, so we figured fixing that would solve it, but it's still doing it.

Any ideas?

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
trade it in[thumb]

hollowed out the CAT? you know they can be fined big $$$$ for doing that. the cat system if a federal mandated thing. when was the last time you gave this FoFo a complete tune-up?
fuel filter, fuel system cleaner, plugs & wires, coolant flush, air filter. and i hope you have been keeping up on the oil. i cant believe the gutted the CAT. if your CAT was bad, you would smell a rotten egg odor. any of that?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm in Canada and the CAT laws aren't enforced in this province. I haven't done a full tuneup in awhile but I have been changing the oil yes. No rotten egg smell, but they said it was plugged up. I guess I should've gotten a 2nd opinion.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
check for a failing fuel pump... that's a famous problem for the 2000 models

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
^^^^ Agreed, check into the fuel pump recall and change the fuel filter as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts