Focus Fanatics Forum banner

141 - 160 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
I was but my guess since I was thinking it was related to DCT dealership didn't find anything wrong. So right now they are looking @ DTC codes for me and hopefully it will point somewhere. The codes are
5945_62
C140_00
1706_00
In any case I will mention loss of power situations when they come back to me on the codes.

·
Registered
322 Posts
At least in my case that wasn't it....I could definitely go over 20mph and get over 900 RPM it just took a while to do it....

Hey folks,

I'm glad your dealers were able to take care of this concern. If the need arises for me to step in and assist, please let me know.
Well they didn't really take care of anything they just didn't find anything wrong....Obviously its an issue because its happening to multiple people...the issue needs to be found and a TSB issued....

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
I can't help but wonder if this is related to the DCTs that have the car "drop out of gear" and go into limp mode. It could be completely unrelated to the known clutch seal /programming issues.

Luckily, I don't have this issue. But my 2013 rental (with DCT) did and it was scary as heck!

·
Registered
533 Posts
possibly NEW insight to this problem - (yes I have a stick)

First time I had the same sudden loss of power while driving on the highway. Started off as throttle cutting in and out when I would get on the gas, getting worse with downshifting. Finally rolling slow enough and the car just died. I can confirm that on the onset of the symptoms, the car would idle normally when it lost power while I frantically stabbed the gas, until it just cut out altogether. Second time it happened I was driving by a shopping center at much lower than highway speed and the same loss of power caused me to stop dead in a roundabout. Good times!

Unless I missed it, something I haven't read here that I have experienced is that the car WONT turn back on. Cranks and cranks, once in a while it catches but sputters off again. After sitting/cranking/sitting (1st incident for a half hour, 2nd was for 10 minutes), it starts and stumbles enough to get going. From there throttle cuts in and out a few times, and (if it doesn't die again) then it runs like a champ. First time threw the CEL, second time nothing.

Dealer Results?

First trip to the dealer had the service rep saying if it was bad gas they wouldnt cover it. Fair enough. Turns out they found it to be the fuel pressure regulator, replaced under warranty. Few miles into my trip home the car does the exact same thing, on the roundabout. Once she decided to stop being a [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]**, I drove right back to the dealer and will find out probably Monday whats up.

So far I have seen potential remedies being:
- new Throttle body
- High pressure fuel pump
- ECU reflash

Happened twice, both times it was wet and cold, although that may be something that can be ruled out because its that season. Hope they dont jerk me around. Had a '12 Focus 5-speed before I upgraded to this and had zero mechanical problems with it after 34k miles. Keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Another loss of power on MK3

Looks like I am now in this group as well. Driving home today down flat and straight I-5 in Cali I was doing about 70mph two hours into the trip and all of sudden I felt some slight intermittent hesitation. At first I thought it was just bumping over some regular seams in the road, but then I realized that pushing on the gas had no effect. I downshifted to see if that would change things, but still no power. I could (barely) get to 70mph on flats, but would lose speed on a slight incline even with my pedal to the floor. It was just under 70 degrees outside and I had 1/2 tank of Chevron gas. I've always purchased quality gas on my 2013 manual Focus SE with 8K miles on it. Temp gauge was normal and I did the "systems check" while driving and it showed nothing wrong. I pulled over and checked the engine, wheels and air flow out of the muffler. Nothing seemed amiss. I filled up the gas and restarted the car and it seemed fine. Next 3 hours of driving -- all fine, no issues. Pretty strange -- I guess I will take it to Ford this week to run a check.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Might as well add me to the list. Over the past 2 months I've had an intermittent split second loss of power like the throttle was shut for a brief moment and then put back to where the pedal wanted it. It would do the momentary loss of power sometimes once or twice a drive, sometimes it wouldn’t happen for a day or two.

This morning I was driving down the interstate doing 60 mph and I experienced the loss of power but it did not come back. Even with the car floored I could not get over 60 mph and even going to 4th did nothing for the situation. I managed to limp it about 7 more miles down the road to my exit and while going up the ramp I stopped the engine and restarted it. This brought the car back to normal, it is currently at the dealer by my work and hopefully they will find something going on that is causing this issue.

It’s pretty un-nerving to lose all power and not being able to accelerate at all on the freeway.

·
Registered
274 Posts
People who are having persistent problems. After you get pulled over/in a parking lot and are 100% SAFE, flip open your Razr and take a video. Show that you are in gear and cannot get going. Show you flooring it (which should emit some high revving), but it still not getting up to speed. Post the video here as well for as much info shared as we can, at least for posterity's sake. Also, this way the Ford reps see the problems, not just read about them.

I would also show a simple quick restart cures the problem (for a while at-least)

Then they (Reps) can reference this to the Service manager and maybe even corporate.

·
Registered
224 Posts
People who are having persistent problems. After you get pulled over/in a parking lot and are 100% SAFE, flip open your Razr and take a video. Show that you are in gear and cannot get going. Show you flooring it (which should emit some high revving), but it still not getting up to speed. Post the video here as well for as much info shared as we can, at least for posterity's sake. Also, this way the Ford reps see the problems, not just read about them.

I would also show a simple quick restart cures the problem (for a while at-least)

Then they (Reps) can reference this to the Service manager and maybe even corporate.
I took a quick video of it this morning, its dark and even with the dome light on you cant really see what is going on but I went through and explained the problem and everything. I'll maybe see about uploading it later when I get home.

·
Registered
224 Posts
So I got my car back today, they couldn't find anything wrong with the car. The only thing they found was a code for a random misfire but they said they don't know what its from and wouldn't be looking into it.

So here's hoping it doesn't happen again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My car is a 2013 se 5 speed manual
My Focus shut down on the highway last Thursday (Low pressure oil light and battery light.) got a tow truck and brought it into the ford dealer. I thought I had an engine failure. They checked it and tried to recreate the same condition but not luck. They knew I was driving for 18 Mins and the fuel pressure stopped and cause the car to stall. They do not know why. They called ford Canada about the issue and they have no clue. Picked it up on the car at the end of the day and drove it all weekend without an issue.
Fast forwards to today. Same drive to work, same speed the car started to stall so I pulled over right way and shut the car off. Waited 5 min and took off. Car ran fine for another 15 min and then started to stall again and turn off the highway. Let it set for 5 mins , got back on the highway, got off the exit and went to a gas station. Filled it up with premium and put some gasoline antifreeze in it. I drove to work without incident.
Two things were consistent
1) It was cold (-22 & -12 Celsius) (-7 & 10 Fahrenheit)
2) I had about ½ tank of gas at the time of the failure.
I took the car to the ford dealer. They are going to drive it in the morning after it has sat in the cold overnight to see it they can recreate the condition.
I really like the car but this should not be happening to a car that is 1 yr. old with 30k km. (19k miles) in the year 2013. It is embarrassing both for me and also for ford.
I have to say the dealer has been great so far I hope ford Canada follows their lead and finds what is causing the issue.

·
Registered
533 Posts
FIXED!!!

for me at least.

3 consecutive trips to the dealer, and it was arcing caused by one of the wires in the harness going to the high pressure fuel injector. The harness runs along the front of the engine and curls around up to the injectors, passing between the engine (by the manifold) and the intake. There was a burn mark on the engine where the wiring passes.

Dealer wrapped it in electrical tape and sent me packing. As skeptical as I was, the problem has never returned and I couldnt argue with the burn mark and the fact that it has not happened again:

Side note I was incredibly surprised how well the dealer treated me....for a change, although I had to go 3 times. first time they said it was the high pressure regulator, second time that same harness was 'wrapped too tightly' so they took it off the mounts, and finally they traced all the wiring. Rental every trip after the first.

·
Registered
533 Posts
My Focus shut down on the highway last Thursday (Low pressure oil light and battery light.) got a tow truck and brought it into the ford dealer. I thought I had an engine failure. They checked it and tried to recreate the same condition but not luck. They knew I was driving for 18 Mins and the fuel pressure stopped and cause the car to stall. They do not know why. They called ford Canada about the issue and they have no clue. Picked it up on the car at the end of the day and drove it all weekend without an issue.
Fast forwards to today. Same drive to work, same speed the car started to stall so I pulled over right way and shut the car off. Waited 5 min and took off. Car ran fine for another 15 min and then started to stall again and turn off the highway. Let it set for 5 mins , got back on the highway, got off the exit and went to a gas station. Filled it up with premium and put some gasoline antifreeze in it. I drove to work without incident.
Two things were consistent
1) It was cold (-22 & -12 Celsius) (-7 & 10 Fahrenheit)
2) I had about ½ tank of gas at the time of the failure.
I took the car to the ford dealer. They are going to drive it in the morning after it has sat in the cold overnight to see it they can recreate the condition.
I really like the car but this should not be happening to a car that is 1 yr. old with 30k km. (19k miles) in the year 2013. It is embarrassing both for me and also for ford.
I have to say the dealer has been great so far I hope ford Canada follows their lead and finds what is causing the issue.
same situation, when it happened to me it was cold and damp (either raining or moist out)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the post e30og

I will get ford to check the wiring this morning. And will also check it myself along with any other wiring that may wear.

·
Registered
233 Posts
My Focus shut down on the highway last Thursday (Low pressure oil light and battery light.) got a tow truck and brought it into the ford dealer. I thought I had an engine failure. Waited 5 min and took off. car that is 1 yr. old with 30k km. (19k miles) in the year 2013. I have to say the dealer has been great so far I hope ford Canada follows their lead and finds what is causing the issue.

Hi focger,

I would like to help! It is great that your dealer has been taking good care of you. [:)] Please PM me your VIN, full name, telephone number, and dealer info; I will loop in the regional customer service manager.

Kwasi

·
Registered
14 Posts
How is it that there is over 2 years worth of posts on this particular topic with everyone having similar lose of power issues with their 5MT Focus' and Ford still doesn't have a fix for this problem?

I have just started to experience intermittent loss of power issues (not as severe as some have mentioned in previous posts however, alarming none the less) with my 13 Focus with around 22000 km on it. Does anyone know what the root cause of this lose of power issue is with the 5MT Focus?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I too just had this issue with my 2012 Focus SE, 5 speed. Went to accelerate up a hill on the highway this weekend and there was nothing, I went from 70mph to barely 50mph, and when I downshifted I could hardly rev above 3k in 4th. It really felt like there was a misfire because even under light throttle it didnt feel right. I got off the highway and into a parking lot, looked under the hood and didnt notice anything. Shut it off and started it back up and it was fine, no CEL or anything. I have 35,8xx miles (of course) so I am thinking I should get to the local dealer ASAP to document this before my warranty is up. Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
How is it that there is over 2 years worth of posts on this particular topic with everyone having similar lose of power issues with their 5MT Focus' and Ford still doesn't have a fix for this problem?
Hey Dave75,

My Canadian counterpart, Bianca, will be reaching out shortly to assist. Feel free to send her a PM here.

I too just had this issue with my 2012 Focus SE, 5 speed. Went to accelerate up a hill on the highway this weekend and there was nothing, I went from 70mph to barely 50mph, and when I downshifted I could hardly rev above 3k in 4th.
Hello rdsx18,

I'd like to put you in touch with your regional customer service manager, who'll work with you and your dealer to come to a solution. Please send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and preferred servicing dealership.

Todd

·
Registered
233 Posts

I have just started to experience intermittent loss of power issues (not as severe as some have mentioned in previous posts however, alarming none the less) with my 13 Focus with around 22000 km on it. Does anyone know what the root cause of this lose of power issue is with the 5MT Focus?
Hi Dave75,

Has your dealer gotten the chance to diagnose what's going on? Please PM me your VIN, full name, best daytime phone number, and dealer's info so I can check this out for you. :)

Bianca

·
Registered
4 Posts
I might as well throw my hat into the ring as well. 2013 Focus SE 5spd. I have had it just over 10 months now. Just turned 18k miles, lots of highway driving.

Fortunately for me, my hesitation is just that. It hesitates real quick (at random) and I get power back. Luckily have not had a situation were I have had to stop completely and turn my car off. This whole ordeal is troubling to me because I will have my kids in the car from time to time.

I would say since I have owned the car it has hesitated maybe a dozen times. I found this thread, had the dealer look at it when I had the oil changed about a month ago... they found nothing and sent me on my way. But they did say they documented it and to bring it back if it happens again. It just happened again last week and I haven't had time to call them back.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Dave75,

Has your dealer gotten the chance to diagnose what's going on? Please PM me your VIN, full name, best daytime phone number, and dealer's info so I can check this out for you. :)

Bianca
Hi Bianca,

Thanks for the reply! I will be taking my car in for service on April 1st. I will let you know how it goes and if I need further assistance I will contact you. My dealer is pretty good to me.

141 - 160 of 208 Posts