Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 02 atx ZX3 Nitrous install went very smoothly.
Using a ZEX 50 shot with window switch and brain box,etc.
Only did one Nitrous pull to make sure everything is working properly and everything checks out ok.
Still need Toms nitrous tune and a wideband before really messing with the spray.
Last night showing the Guys at work,I realized that when I arm the system the idle increases to 1100-1200 rpm's even though Toms performance tune has Me idling at 950 rpm's.
Kill the Nitrous system and the Car resumes its Happy 950 rpm idle.
Why is this happening?
Is it a result of some programming in the window switch?
I believe while setting everything up,it was programmed while high idling due to the cold start.
I'm not really worried about it,just curious why its doing it.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do a datalog and lets see it turned on and off at idle and see if it is causing Vac leak

Tom
Will do My Friend.....
Just as soon as my Wife finds the laptop charger She misplaced 3 weeks ago!

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
the zex box taps into the TPS wires, could it be changing the voltage somehow and confusing the computer? how are your grounds?

not too sure but something to check

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
^^this. my car did the same thing when I was running N2o. I was using a NOS rpm/window switch.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^this. my car did the same thing when I was running N2o. I was using a NOS rpm/window switch.
Did you fix the problem or just let it be?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I would make sure there isn't a leak at the N2o solenoid also, my friends trailblazer ss had a similar issue and the N2o solenoid got some trash in it and was sticking a little. Did you blow the lines out before you hooked them up the solenoid? We found his out after the bottle was empty after one night and he only made 2 runs.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would make sure there isn't a leak at the N2o solenoid also, my friends trailblazer ss had a similar issue and the N2o solenoid got some trash in it and was sticking a little. Did you blow the lines out before you hooked them up the solenoid? We found his out after the bottle was empty after one night and he only made 2 runs.
Yep,purged and clean.
Its almost like the Window switch is forcing the Car to idle up that high.....

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From the ZEX technical support live chat:

Gabe: Dustin, how can I help you?

Dustin: I installed a system on my 2002 Ford Focus ZX3 with automatic transmission.When I arm the zex system the idle raises to 1100-1250 rpms.Any idea why its doing this?

Gabe: Are you referring to when the nitrous engages?

Dustin: It is tuned to idle at 950 rpms.

Dustin: No,just when the system is turned to on

Dustin: The system should only come on at WOT.

Gabe: Unless you aer not getting a good TPS signal. It should be close to zero at idle, and closer to 4.4 or so at WOT. I would check the voltage on the TPS and see what voltage you are getting.

Gabe: are sorry

Dustin: ok...will check that.

Dustin: Its just strange as when we set up the window switch,thats where the cold idle was at...its almost like the rpm switch is remembering that set up.

Dustin: anything else to check for?

Gabe: Check the voltage as well on the fuel side. It isn't putting nitrous in the system, but may be letting some fuel in...

Dustin: Cool,will do that as well.

Dustin: Thanks Gabe!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts