Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lose in the rear.

Well, i was on the interstate for about 3 hours today going back to school. It was almost perfect, sun was out, windows down, we were cruizing along with the rest of the traffic. The only problem was that when i hit a bump, the back end want to kick out. I cant figure it out. I recently moved the toe out a little because my tires were getting chewed up in the rear, but i have been running a few weeks like that. Fyi, i have eibach sportlines and pro-dampers, and slightly worn(evenly) tires, they came off the front which wasnt tearing up my tires, and new tires are on the front. So any ideas about why im getting this feeling? Could the toe have moved out too far?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nobody else has their car kick out to the side when you hit a bump? Im about 60% sure that it is the toe, but i dont really want it back where it was before.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
What was you toe setting before and what is it now? Are you sure the toe was responsible for the tire wear. It could have been camber or a combination of camber and toe. If you have a printout from the alignment please provide the before and after settings.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry i dont know what it is now and what it was. We cant get my car aligned with the kit on it, its too low to get the machine to work. I know the tire wear was coming from a combo of camber and toe, but the camber is not that bad (within factory specs, but on the limit), the toe was far eneough in that i could tell it by just looking up the car. We didnt move it much because im going to take the kit off this summer to get it aligned properly. I just cant see that moving the toe what little bit that we did could have such a big difference. Dont we have a rear suspension that "gives" alittle? Could something have gotten loose back there?

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
It doesn't take too much toe out to make a car squirrely. Camber at the max. even within Ford specs will cause significant tire wear. I have found that you need less than -1.6 degrees of negative camber to stop or greatly reduce camber related (inside edge) tire wear. Ford spec's allow up to -2.3 degrees!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, i know that ford alows alot of neg camber, im pretty sure im at the edge of it. Im only at school for a few more weeks, when i go home im gonna get it aligned, i'll get them to set the camber in alittle more. I wish i knew where the toe was, not sure if its out or not. Its not a big deal that it kicks, i just wish that it wouldnt. Hopefully my tire wear goes down alittle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts