Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the car since October 05, really havent driven it much until my GF wrecked her car so she is driving it. Anyways, I noticed when I was driving it a while ago, that it seems to chug when in like 4th gear, 5th gear and some in 6th, like light load cruising.
I have seen many posts stating that this is a EEC problem, I went to the dealer with the car and they said they dont experience anything, then took it in again and same answer.
I drove the car last week and now in the warm weather it seems much worse even, almost as if its going lean rich lean rich....
Anyone know what the heck is going on? Its got about 22k on it, totally stock, not abused or anything. Great looking car, i looked high & low for a long time to find one and am pretty let down with the performance and dealer "respect" I have received from FORD service.
Anyone? Ideas???
Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Yeah it sucks, the dealer won't fix it, which dealer did you go to? I've heard millner is the best in the area from a couple people. But I just skipped the dealer and went for the custom tune, it took care of the surging and gave me power on the side heh.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Isn't there a TSB on this?! Surging between 25-75mph. Do a search for surging. Should find the answer. I have the same issue and it is going in my dealer.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Yeah there is a TSB, I don't know the number, but some dealers could give a crap less about us focus owners, seriously.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
just buy a tune to solve the surging/chugging. look at the ignition coil, wires, and the spark plugs too while you're at it.

i'd love to give ford a good review, but you're better off saving the time and effort and fixing it yourself out of pocket with aftermarket parts than trying to get those assbags to install something properly. they [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] up my car bad enough that in the first year it spent 64 days in the dealership, and was still broken mechanically along with a nice gouge that looked like they jumped a parking lot block on the passenger side.

since i started doing the work myself with parts ordered through this site's sponsors the car's run flawlessly. just took about 800 bucks and a saturday of time

·
Registered
975 Posts
my car does that but i just drop it down a bit get the rev's up take it to 5k and then upshift and it goes away. thats the only solution i found to it that and warm the car up good b4 u go out to drive. i let my car warm up and idle for about 5-8min b4 i go anywhere.

·
FF Affiliate
30,874 Posts
Here is what i would do

New SVT Focus-Power Predators for 395.00 mention this add for a 45.00 Instant rebate = 350.00

Focus-Power was the first Co. anywhere to tune a SVT Focus out side of Ford , We had tuning for almost a Year before anyone else offered tuning , No one has done more tuning with the SVT Focus than Focus-Power has and this shows with VERY VERY FEW customers with tuning issues

Because of the cost of the Predators in the past i could not offer this discount we now have the BEST tune at the LOWEST price

I will now be offering FREE tuning for as long as you own the tuner as long as its NA

Tom

·
Registered
291 Posts
MISVTfocus said:
Yeah there is a TSB, I don't know the number, but some dealers could give a crap less about us focus owners, seriously.
Here it is:

2004 SVT Focus

TSB 06-04-10 titled "Surge at Steady State Cruise 25-75 MPH"

Issue - Some 2004 Focus SVT may exibit a sensation of the engine surging.......

Action - Reprogram the powertrain control module to the latest calibration......

TSB dated Feb 21, 06.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79448&highlight=surging

What I did was told the service advisor that I had a Surge at Steady State Cruise at 45 MPH and then told him the number of the TSB.

They did the work under warranty, and it does improve things.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I understand that you can fix it yourself by spending money on it. I totally dont see that being the right way to have it fixed, I shouldnt have to buy a calibration tool to fix the problem on my new car.
I am all for tuning and all that crap, I've been doing that for years, and now that is my job which makes it stand out all the more. Thats a given sign of a crap calibration and it irritates me to no end. I know the kid/guy who did the cal for the big boost ford supercharger kit, he now works with a friend. I was talking to him about the issue and stated its a cam phasing problem. Since I dont have the car or daily access to it yet as my GF is still driving it, I will take it to the dealer again, see what they say, and then talk to this guy again. The other issue is the cat heat shield rusted off, however they say that something hit it, yet the holes are all blown out and its aluminum, the IP cluster clear plastic cover also cracked when it got hot out here one day.
I got the got at Bloomfield ford, but take it to Blackwell as its right down the road...Its a shame that things turn out this way, I know I wont be buying another Ford anytime soon, if any at all...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts