Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay...so, i'm washin up the beast the other day, 05 zx3, and i notice that the front driver side rotor looks seriously jacked up.....starting from the outer most edge, about an inch or so inward, in some places more, all the way around, my rotor is slowly being shaved down, it looks and feels pretty nasty...it's deep too, very obvious if you feel with your fingers......i have no idea what would cause the rotor to wear like that....i dropped the whole brake pad assembly and checked the pads and they seem to look fine, i thought something might have been caught between the pad and the rotor...but i see no sign of that...and then, on ocassion, if i come to a firm brake, i hear just a split second of a nasty squeek just about the exact time i come to a complete stop....DOES ANYONE have any idea what's up here????
i've only got 20,000k on the car, so it's still under warranty, does this sound like a defect or something else....i thought about just gettin a nice aftermarket brake kit, but i should wait to see what the diagnosis is, right?? thanks
-nick

·
Registered
469 Posts
Take it in they will replace the pads for free but when it comes to the rotors theyll charge you about a bill each. Oh and by the way focus' brakes suck the rotors are too soft and the pads are too hard which in result means...... get aftermarket. I asked the tech at the dealership and he said the average life expectantcy on the rotors is about 20K.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
really?? that seems a lil not right......i mean, the pits wore in this rotor are DEEEEP!!! they oughtta replace it all for free.......thanks quik

·
Registered
360 Posts
I had that problem with my brakes. I took it into the dealership and talked to the guys there about it. Oddly enough, they were pretty understanding about it, and said they would take a look at it. Two hours later, I had new rotors and pads on my car for FREE. I thought items like clutch, pads, rotors, etc didn't fall under warrauntee work because they are "wear and tear" items. I guess they thought it was bad enough to warrant free replacement (I'd only had 22k miles on my car at that point).

·
Registered
200 Posts
I had warped rotors at 15K and the dealership refused to replace them under warentee, stating that "It is normal wear and tear...", BS

I though the 05+ rotors and pads where "better"?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
grenada_focus said:
I had warped rotors at 15K and the dealership refused to replace them under warentee, stating that "It is normal wear and tear...", BS

I though the 05+ rotors and pads where "better"?
sheww...if that's the case, i'd hate to see rotors from older focus...i don't know if my rotor is warped or what...but it's NASTY...i can't believe how bad it is....if they're gonna charge me for crappy oem replacement rotors, i'll just buy a set of aftermarket for it...that's prolly what i should do anyway

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Our 03's rotor are gooved but it hasn't caused any braking problems and the pads show minimal wear after 39K miles. I don't think I have seen a focus were the stock rotors are not grooved. If you do start to sense problems replace the rotors with a quality aftermarket solid one (Brembo for example) and not a Ford part as its almost guaranteed that it will do it again. To add insult to injury the Ford part will also cost more.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Wow^^^To have 39,000 miles and the pads are showing minimal wear is pretty good...Some people look at their pads and think they're good, but they look at the wrong part of the pad.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
FocusFreak87, I would agree with you that many people probably confuse the backing as part of the pad material because it can be rather thick and once brake dust accumulates on it its had to see the line between the friction material and the backing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts