Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much weight can be dropped from the SVT (without removing the back seats it still has to be daily friendly). and what is the best place to start, I.E. light racing seats, wheels, etc

·
фанатик
5,056 Posts
Not sure of an actual total poundage you could drop. But, the most effective reduction is removing as much unsprung weight, and rotational mass, as possible.

Wheels cover both, and is where I would start.

·
Registered
497 Posts
does anyone know where to find a good light wheel
Google. Gramlites are a pretty popular FWD lightweight rim.

A general rule of racecar weight loss is that you are better finding 100 places to remove 1lb than one place to remove 100lbs. If you want any substantial weight reduction you are likely gonna have to sacrifice your daily driver creature comforts.

Get an aftermarket hood, aftermarket hatch, new wheels, remove all the carpet and insulation, headliner, rear seats, door panels and glass. Spending $ on a new set of rims and maybe a carbon fiber hood isn't going to reduce the weight significantly enough for you to notice a difference unless you are counting .001 seconds at a track.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Take out the spare and jack and keep a can of fix-a-flat.
Lightweight seats.
Lighter Rims.
Carbon fiber hood, fenders and hatch.
Lightweight battery.
Keep car clean and empty.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Take out the spare and jack and keep a can of fix-a-flat.
Lightweight seats.
Lighter Rims.
Carbon fiber hood, fenders and hatch.
Lightweight battery.
Keep car clean and empty.
Dont eat at McDonalds [unsure]

·
BACON?
3,170 Posts
Dont eat at McDonalds [unsure]
seriously, this.

I used to car pool to school. One of the kids was 300+lbs, he always said my car was slow. I don't think he knew there was a MAJOR difference in the way it drives without him in the car. If you over weight dropping a few yourself is a good starting point.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
seriously, this.

I used to car pool to school. One of the kids was 300+lbs, he always said my car was slow. I don't think he knew there was a MAJOR difference in the way it drives without him in the car.
I know what your talking about.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My car and I went on a diet... I was 255 2 months ago, now I'm 218, my car was 2695 empty, now fully caged and race trim my SVT weighs 1748 without my butt in it.. That only took two weeks :D

Fred

·
Registered
52 Posts
My car and I went on a diet... I was 255 2 months ago, now I'm 218, my car was 2695 empty, now fully caged and race trim my SVT weighs 1748 without my butt in it.. That only took two weeks :D

Fred
How id you drop 947 lbs on your car?

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
Motegi traklites 16x7 +40 weigh 12lbs vs Svt wheels at 21lbs. Lightweight aluminium flywheel 12lbs vs Svt 26lbs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
A light weight battery is a quick simple way to drop some weight. My stock battery was I think 32lbs and I picked up a 15lb Braille. 17 pounds for pretty cheap and not much work.

Also I saved close to 15 when I put my coilovers on.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Motegi traklites 16x7 +40 weigh 12lbs vs Svt wheels at 21lbs. Lightweight aluminium flywheel 12lbs vs Svt 26lbs.
I know this, but this is 10x4=40lbs and 12 on the fw I got a Spec Alum 12lbs fw... Just 54=/=947 lbs -.- I know you can toss the spare and toll battier cf hood trunk but to keep it dd you might drop 200 most?

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
F2's spec race car was around 1,800 lbs. But that's a full gut. Naturally aspiration (lighter cause of no turbo setup) spec certified cage one seat.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts