Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming home from work tonight and the car began to feel "wierd"...I pull over and check, nothing obvious. Three miles furthur its worse, almost no noise. Get out and my suspicions are correct. The right rear wheel bearing is toast... 5-10 MPH all the way home, JOY, ....From owning the shop all these years, I can get the bearing out of ANYTHING, but the rear SVT spindle is a BEAR when its half dust, but its out. Pick up a new bearing and dust seal in the AM, before work....

I swear, the month before a garage day, It seems I'm always working on the Fofo.

·
Focus autox'r
2,507 Posts
DAMN that sux.
REAL GLAD u got out and checked.
That could of been very bad, had it said good bye when you were doing 55 mph.

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
Sucks to hear but it will get fixed. Glad you caught it before it could have gotten ugly.

I swear, the month before a garage day, It seems I'm always working on the Fofo.
Well your Focus does have 120,000 + miles on it, right?[;)] Things aren't gonna last forever[:D] I get annoyed when things break on our Focus but it's bewsted and it's got 71K on it. Sooooo yeah. Hehe.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, I agree with 120K its gonna wear out. Not complaining about that. Its been good to me, I am planning on 250K at least.

·
Focus autox'r
2,507 Posts
I wont say what i am waiting to fail...with 134xxx its only a matter of time.
And how hard u drive it.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay HERE IS THE PISSER!

I bought American, and I bought an inexpensive, fun economical car that I still enjoy driving,
SO< why the F are the rear wheel bearing $90 friggin dollars and the dust seal is ..HOLY CRAP 46 dollars..THAT IS INSANE.

I"ve worked on many old cars....lets see. The old timken style bearing, are about $15 and last 100,000 or so, these new roller bearing with dual races and they are a complete PITA to remove and replace...last ?????? Lets see, about 100,000..

WHAT THE HELL people, if the new "high -tech" crap lasts no longer, give me the old crap back please. I feel like I got butt raped this morning.....Thank you once again to all the idiots involved in the firestone tire fiasco...I just helped pay back some of that lawsuit...bastards!

·
Hon-duh Rider
1,347 Posts
Werd..

I went to the dealership yesterday to get a price on a Speed Sending Unit for my car.. $37.00 Not sure if that includes the cable or not.. If not, i'm glad i got a cable for it yesterday from the junkyard for $7.00

I agree with you 100%

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
Old people like to nap you know so he must've just woken up.

[wave]

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Did you just get a bearing or hub and the bearing?

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was the bearing AND the hub, so I felt a little better about the price, I also have an account there, so I payed somewhat less than that, but the dust seal was still the same...Cracks me up, bearing, hub, circlip, all 4 studs, but you gotta buy the 46 dollar dust seal seperate...yes!

Don't worry Steve, I"ve been a parts man, too...You don't make the prices. ;)

Just came in from changing them out, did them both even though only the one failed. I saved the other good one. Of course it started raining when I got home from work, and I had torn the car down on the parking pad 2 days ago when it was all sunny...I'm a bit moist, but its done...Now I'm ready for the weekend.

·
Focus autox'r
2,507 Posts
Okay HERE IS THE PISSER!

I bought American, and I bought an inexpensive, fun economical car that I still enjoy driving,
SO< why the F are the rear wheel bearing $90 friggin dollars and the dust seal is ..HOLY CRAP 46 dollars..THAT IS INSANE.

I"ve worked on many old cars....lets see. The old timken style bearing, are about $15 and last 100,000 or so, these new roller bearing with dual races and they are a complete PITA to remove and replace...last ?????? Lets see, about 100,000..

WHAT THE HELL people, if the new "high -tech" crap lasts no longer, give me the old crap back please. I feel like I got butt raped this morning.....Thank you once again to all the idiots involved in the firestone tire fiasco...I just helped pay back some of that lawsuit...bastards!
X1000 ^
I think the industry just wants to make em harder to work on so they can make more money.

I like to be kissed before i get .....

<~~ [doorpeek]~~ runs for the hills--this is a dangerous thread fur sum one like me!!!
HOWDY STEVE!!!
Are you going to Coopers rock?

·
Registered
916 Posts
[offtopic]--where's the SUPA-MODS when ya need em????????--like Mr.Viney and family,,we will be campin in western md. the coopers weekend--but the boss-n-myself will be down the ocean-hun during the hot-rod weekend fur a weddin--not sure what we will be drivin though!!--[unsure]

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
^^^ Prolly some Earth destroyer. ;)

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Supa-mod here and accounted for....I think I may change my title to that!

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts