Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received this from Amazon, cost $81.00. WeatherTech specifies that 40519 fits the Focus 5dr Hatch WITH subwoofer.

I'm horrified that the mat is NOT pre-cut to fit around the subwoofer. On the back of the mat I found imprinted "Trim for subwoofer option".

WTF?? I'm supposed to cut up this mat with a box cutter so that it fits the way it is advertised to fit as the option? This is crazy to me. Cutting it to fit would not only leave a jagged edge, but it would destroy the touted "protective lip" and leave the subwoofer subject to receiving spills, if they occurred.

Have any of you guys run into this?

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,111 Posts
Well... its an option that you choose with your car. Take that how you want it.

Be glad that they left a spot so you know where to cut it at...Yet cutting it should still have an edge on it to keep the water or dirt out of there. IF you do it right there won't be a jagged edge, something you will have to take your time on.

If there is no protective lip, you can set a towel underneath it in that specific area, or take take the lip from what you cut and put it on there somehow.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I love the Weather Tech floor mats for my Focus, but I refuse to buy their cargo liner - too many people have complained about the fit, and that plastic Weather Tech badge they put on it is downright ugly. I have the OEM cargo mat with the Focus logo, and it fits far better than most aftermarket cargo mats. And the OEM mat comes two ways - with or without the subwoofer. No cutting required.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I am looking at the husky and weathertech. I see that both of them have to be cut to fit the subwoofer. Do a search on here, people said the cutting is simple. but ya, I haven't ordered either, I want to see some pictures of it cut and fit. Can you post some?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Slicknick, thanks for the pics. it appears to me that the cargo mat pictured has a molded edge where the subwoofer is. *I first thought that if I cut mine it would not have any molded edge protection, I was wrong.

I'm calling WeatherTech today when they open. There is no way I'm spending almost $100 to give me a finished, protective appearance and then cut it up.

If I wanted to "cut something up" I could have gotten a piece of carpet, cut it up, jagged edges and all and thrown it in. Talk about your "rice".

I see 2 possible outcomes: 1) WeatherTech tells me that I received the wrong mat or 2) this thing goes back. I am not cutting this mat. I bought a WeatherTech cargo mat for my 2011 Focus SE and it fit perfectly, no cutting.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Slick, regarding the OEM Ford liner, there is a notation that it's not available with the full size spare. This first came up yesterday during a phone conversation I was having with a guy at Tousley Ford / White Bear Lake Parts. He noticed that comment when he was looking up the cost for me.

This struck me as strange, also important because I have a full size spare. As we discussed he said that he had no idea why the size of the spare would matter as it has no bearing on the dimensions of the cargo area.

So in looking at "Partscheap.com" this morning I found "not available with full size spare".

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
368 Posts
It wouldn't surprise me that the notation might be an error. If the full size spare fits in the spare tire well without pushing up the cover, I think the mat should fit just fine.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Slick, regarding the OEM Ford liner, there is a notation that it's not available with the full size spare. This first came up yesterday during a phone conversation I was having with a guy at Tousley Ford / White Bear Lake Parts. He noticed that comment when he was looking up the cost for me.

This struck me as strange, also important because I have a full size spare. As we discussed he said that he had no idea why the size of the spare would matter as it has no bearing on the dimensions of the cargo area.

So in looking at "Partscheap.com" this morning I found "not available with full size spare".

Anybody have any thoughts on this?
I checked on accessories.ford.com and here's the link to the Cargo Area Protector - 5 door with subwoofer, which includes a photo of it. It also states "Vehicle Notes: Not Available w/Full-Size Spare. Not for use with BEV," which is consistent with what you've been seeing. I checked the same part without subwoofer, as well as both (with & without) of the same part for the 4 door as a comparison. All of them list "Not Available w/Full-Size Spare."

There is a Carpeted Cargo Mat for both the 4 and 5 door, but without subwoofer, that does not say it's not available with the full-size spare.

I'm going to see if I can dig a little deeper on why that particular liner isn't compatible with that spare, and I'll let you know if I find anything out.

Meagan

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Meagan, thanks so much for looking into this. So as NOT to waste your time, I am going with the WeatherTech, and eating a bit of crow. Here's the story.

As I got over my initial surprise, I took a closer look at the WeatherTech mat, and realizing that I COULD cut and maintain a lip around the subwoofer, and seeing that it would be pretty easy to cut, I dove in, and made the cut. Fits beautifully.

Posting pic tomorrow.

Back to the Ford OEM mat, just as a matter of interest, I would still like to know how the size of the spare relates to the fit of the cargo mat. Just can't grasp it.

Thanks again, Meagan.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How do I know if I have the full size spare? My wheels are 17" so I doubt I have one of those in my hatch.

Well, Slick, you might be surprised. I have the Ti Handling Package with 18's. Inside the spare wheel well of my hatch lies a brand new full size 16" spare tire.
(Side story here: when buying the car I looked in the hatch, discovered this and asked what's up with that. Turns out, the 18" handling pack comes with a 16" spare.) My ETIS shows "full size spare".

What size spare lies beneath the cargo floor of your Focus with 17's? You're going to have to take a peek.

But of course all of this begs the issue---what difference does the spare tire size matter to the length and width dimensions of the cargo area / cargo mat ?

Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well, Slick, you might be surprised. I have the Ti Handling Package with 18's. Inside the spare wheel well of my hatch lies a brand new full size 16" spare tire.
(Side story here: when buying the car I looked in the hatch, discovered this and asked what's up with that. Turns out, the 18" handling pack comes with a 16" spare.) My ETIS shows "full size spare".

What size spare lies beneath the cargo floor of your Focus with 17's? You're going to have to take a peek.

But of course all of this begs the issue---what difference does the spare tire size matter to the length and width dimensions of the cargo area / cargo mat ?

Inquiring minds want to know.
It is because the spare tire is wider. So therefore the floor of your cargo area is slightly higher than those with a donut spare. The reason this makes a difference is because of the angle of the back seats. When the floor is higher it does infact shrink the actual depth of the cargo floor area to compensate for the angle of the back seats. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
51 Posts
No Problem. I bought and ST and the same thing applied. If you look at the Husky liner one it has a lip along the back you can cut (along with the subwoofer) if you have a full size spare for this reason.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm really happy with the clean, professional look that the WeatherTech liner provides.

There's a part of my obsessiveness that thinks "Gee that liner is too nice to mess up. Hmmm...I wonder what kind of protective cover I can find for it?"

I think that's what comes from growing up with parents who used plastic slipcovers on the furniture.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I'm really happy with the clean, professional look that the WeatherTech liner provides.

There's a part of my obsessiveness that thinks "Gee that liner is too nice to mess up. Hmmm...I wonder what kind of protective cover I can find for it?"

I think that's what comes from growing up with parents who used plastic slipcovers on the furniture.
Ha, a cover for the cover!

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have a 16" spare. Shoot. Some of the reviews online are saying the back needs to be cut. Which would defeat the purpose of the mat...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts